Dyslexia Awareness Week

Dyslexia Awareness Week 8th to 14th October.

Want to know what support is available from the SpLD Support Team or know more about Dyslexia and other Specific Learning Difficulties?

Visit the SpLD Support Team stand in the HUB.  Staff will be available throughout the week.

Seven TextHelp prizes won every day this week.

To mark the Dyslexia Awareness Week we are running a FREE prize
draw for students to win TextHelp Read and Write goodies. Just
complete the entry slip at our stand in the HUB and put it into the box provided.

Find out more about our Assistive Technology such as TextHelp

For a free TextHelp 30 day home trial

For more information please contact:

The SpLD Support Team,

Ask Desk, 1st Floor University Library

Tel: 01695 584372

inclusiveservices@edgehill.ac.uk

This entry was posted in Academic Skills, Inclusive Services, Learning Services, Library by Julie Keen. Bookmark the permalink.

About Julie Keen

I came to Edge Hill as a student in 1996 to study BA Honours Applied Social Sciences, specialising in politics and criminology. After graduating in 1999, I started working as Inclusive Learning Facilitator supporting disabled students in their day-to-day studies. During that time I embarked on a PhD in Critical Criminology and taught criminology as a sessional tutor. After being assessed as dyslexic, I decided to take qualifications in dyslexia support to compliment my facilitator role and improve my skills in student support. Having qualified, I began supporting dyslexic students at Edge Hill as a sessional advisor; a job I loved above my other roles at Edge Hill. In 2004 Learning Services launched the Edge Ahead Centre (Now Inclusive Services) to provide study support for all learners, including dyslexic students. In 2004 I decided to move away from my teaching and facilitation roles and applied for a full-time post and a Learning and Skills Advisor with the Edge Ahead team. In 2006 I was appointed as SpLD Coordinator and in 2010 I was appointed as the SpLD Support team manager. I live locally with my partner of 12 years and we have a very happy home with 2 lovely dogs, a west highland white terrier called Millie and a miniature schnauzer called Archie. We love walking and camping and we have a touring caravan. Our favourite locations for holidays are the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales.