Lake District – a green oasis and a great escape

Last October (2019) we had a free coach trip to Lake District with the Students Union (SU), and it was a lovely memory. I’m so excited because in April we’re going to have another trip to this green haven with the International Office. ( <– check this link out and you’ll see a list of free trips you’ll likely go on!)

With the trip last October, what I did was I went on the Give it a Go page by the SU, chose the event and logged in with my university email to book a place! Make sure you sign up early for any trip or there will be no spaces left.

A walk around Windermere, Lake District

Expect to see a lot of tourists as Lake District is a much loved travel destination in the UK. We saw a lot of families with kids, and Chinese tourists too. I guess there must be a significant influx of Chinese tourists to Lake District, since there were many signs at restaurants and places of interest written in Chinese.

The trip took us to Windermere area. Lake District is huge comprising 4 major mountainous areas (or towns to be precise). Beside Windermere town, there are also Keswick, Ambleside, and Bowness-on-Windermere. Take a look at this video and you’ll agree with me how beautiful Windermere looks!

Share lunch with a friend

We arrived in Lake District at around 11am, wandered for a while and went for lunch. Now this (Windermere) is a bustling area with all kinds of cuisines and shops. My friend and I were looking for a budget option, so we looked through many menus and prices (at the entrance of restaurants) and stopped at one pizza place.

The pizza we shared (quite a large size) cost only £ 8. Lunch offer even on a Saturday, brilliant!

Alternatively you can pop in Tesco Express near the lake (where the coach dropped you off) to get a meal deal at 3.00 GBP with a main meal, a snack and a drink. (much like Mccoll’s on campus, but a bit cheaper and more choices I guess).

Great spot for photos

Although I didn’t discover much variety in Lake District (probably because I’m a slow walker and a chilled wanderer), I found a few amazing views for my Instagram photos! (or my phone gallery only, haha, too lazy for instagram posts)

• lake-district-trip-edge-hill-international-student-boats and lake

Few other peaceful shots of the Windermere area!

Keep an eye out for free trips by the International Office and the students’ union, and make sure you sign up early!

Until next time x . Thank you for reading!

Check out also: