Categories
Uncategorized

Dress to impress – volume one…

Today (Monday) I have registered at the Olympic Arena so that I can now provide you with the action as it happens.  The stage is only feet away from me – but getting through the ultra strict security makes it impossible unless you have delegation accreditation.  Here’s the view of the venue as I arrived…

23-venue-approah

This was an unplanned visit to the dress rehearsal – but Karen and I feel like we’ve beenhere for 24 hours, and we have had no contact with what’s going on, first hand.  So we snagged some tickets and I was in my seat (sound of harps) as Sweden took to the stage…

24-sweden

It is still mad as a box of frogs, but I’m still a fan – and hopefully not the kiss of death that I was last year?! 

Doesn’t the stage look stunning?  The set design for Armenia certainly makes the song sound better, for me…

25-armenia

Andorra offered us a perky performance…

26-andorra

Meanwhile, Switzerland rocked-out and used the dynamic set to stunning effect…

27-switz

28-switz

Just in case you don’t know where we are (the stage during an ad break)…

29-stage

Again, Bulgaria used the stage to amplify an otherwise bizarre song (see what you think on Tuesday evening)…

30-bulgaria

For Karen, Apostolos and me the performance of the night was from Iceland.  A strong song with impressive stage presence.  I’ll be unkind about her frock on Boom Bang A Blog, so I’ll let the music do the talking until you see this song (and that dress) on stage…

31-ice

Portugal were the sleeper of the Contest last year, and they might just repeat that in 2009.  My friends over dinner last night all love it – and they think that this is a sailing through to the final.  Once again, the art direction for this song uses the stage to full effect and really does add a little magic to the song…

32-port

And finally from the first semi-final, keep an eye and an ear out for Chiara – a longtime fave of mine – and as you have heard earlier on this blog – let’s hope that Chiara does well on her third attempt. 

34-chiara

So, you might see me in the arena when the first semi-final is broadcast on BBC3 at 8.00p on Tuesday.  See if any of these songs tickle your ears and delight your eyes.

😀

3 replies on “Dress to impress – volume one…”

So much light and colour…looks amazing! Hope you’ve got your shades with you Phil. PS – stay off the Moscow Mules! ;0)

Amazing! Don’t forget to tell us where you’ll be sat on the night – recorders at the ready! x x