In Library and Learning Services we really value our student employees and we’re dedicated to supporting your personal and professional growth. In addition to gaining valuable experience, developing new skills and knowledge, and boosting your employability, student employees also have the opportunity to:

• attend conferences and networking events
  • collaborate on projects with colleagues from across the university
  • work on initiatives that have a real impact on student learning and engagement

We are currently recruiting to two roles, and we’d love you to apply!

The two roles are complimentary to each other and many of our current student employees have worked as a Digital Student Intern over the summer months and transitioned into a Student Advisor the following year.

You too could apply, for one or both positions – but first, let us tell you more about the roles!

Photographs of current Student Advisors and previous Digital Student Interns. They are on a dark blue background with yellow star and comets and in this middle a blue banner saying 'we're hiring'.

Digital Student Internship

The Digital Student Internship is a 10-week paid programme which begins on the 5 June 2023.

In this role you will work as part of the Digital Learning team alongside academics and students from other departments to update and evaluate course areas within Blackboard Ultra (Learning Edge).

As part of the Internship, you will have an exciting opportunity to attend the first Ultra Knowledge Exchange conference on the 6 June, where guests will hear from Blackboard developers and discover new features that are coming to Blackboard Ultra in September 2023.

This role will suit any students interested in technology and wanting to develop their digital skills, including:

• Training and professional development in core digital skills such as Microsoft Word, digital accessibility, communication platforms and social media/blogging.
  • Learning new digital skills in relation to educational technologies
  • Developing your collaborative and team working skills by working closely with Library and Learning staff, peers and faculty departments
  • Evaluating skills
  • Developing your CVs and interview skills for graduate employment opportunities

The Digital Student Internship role works predominantly online, with some occasional requirements to be on site at the Ormskirk campus.

Student Advisors

If you enjoy supporting others, sharing your knowledge and being creative then the Student Advisor role, within the Student Engagement (UniSkills) team, could be right up your street!

Student Advisors provide peer to peer help, support and guidance to students including signposting to learning resources within the University Library’s print and digital collections and providing skills support as part of the UniSkills programme.

In this role you will:

• Provide peer to peer support on a range of introductory academic skills
  • Develop your creativity skills by producing digital content for our social media channels
  • Enhance your presentation skills by delivering and supporting UniSkills workshops
  • Take part in welcome and induction activity for prospective and new students

We are recruiting slightly earlier to the Student Advisors role this year so you can gain valuable induction and training in preparation to meet your new peers in September 2023. And if you are successfully appointed to both roles we will work with you, and around your Internship role, to provide all the information, training and support you need for a really great start to your roles.

The Student Advisor roles are generally flexible to fit around your studies with a mix of in person and virtual support, so you don’t always have to be on campus to complete your work.

But don’t just take our word for how great these opportunities are – read on to hear how our previous student employees have found the roles!

Student Testimonies

Digital Student Intern Jordan

This internship has allowed me to build my skills and knowledge that I can use towards my PGCE in Primary Education and hopefully in my career choice of becoming a Primary school teacher.

I definitely feel like this internship has given me the opportunity to build my confidence and has allowed me to communicate much more effectively. Since starting the internship to where I am now I feel I have come a long way.

Jordan | Digital Student Intern – Summer 2022

Listen to Jordan’s full video to hear more about his experience of taking part in the Internship.

From day one I was absolutely blown away. The organisation of the Digital Student Intern programme was phenomenal. We received very comprehensive and intensive training during the first week and from this point forward I was always aware of what was expected of me. The training sessions themselves were brilliant and I came away from each one more knowledgeable than I had entered it.

The programme was focused on digital accessibility, which was an area in which I had previous knowledge. By the end of the internship I felt like I was a digital ambassador and I have continued to champion accessibility since.  

I believe that I managed to secure a position as a Student Advisor on the strength of the digital internship and this has given me the opportunity to work in a position that complements my studies for the rest of my degree. I was also selected to speak at the Analogue (Blackboard) conference in May 2022 which was an amazing opportunity.  

I am just coming to the end of my master’s degree and I am applying for jobs in the outside world. I have two interviews lined up with the University of York working on the implementation of Blackboard Ultra. I have managed to secure these interviews entirely on the back of the digital internship. I would not have had the knowledge or the skills to even apply, never mind get interviews if I had not undertaken the internship

Paula | Digital Student Intern – Summer 2021
Digital Student Intern and Student Advisor Paula
Digital Student Intern and Student Advisor Tom

The skills learned from the internship have helped me develop in both my personal and professional life. They included team working, effective communication, time management, project planning and writing with accessibility. These skills have translated well into my current role as a Student Advisor where I have been busy working on UniSkills campaigns and events and creating content for social media.

These roles have since enabled me to push myself in to new opportunities, such as presenting my research at an undergraduate Political Studies Association, which is something I never thought I would be able to do. These roles have also enabled me to improve my CV and job application know how and create a standout LinkedIn Learning profile.

Thomas | Digital Student Intern – Summer 2022 | Student Advisor

I have found great use for the skills I developed on the Internship. The Library and Learning Services team are passionate about accessibility, and so the skills I have developed in captioning and accessible presentation have meant that already I have found a real application for my new skillset, as well as a work environment where I can help like-minded people to champion accessibility.

In addition, my familiarity with delivering presentations to a group has meant that hosting webinars and in-person drop-in sessions hasn’t been a cause for concern, only an opportunity for further growth.

Eoin | Digital Student Intern – Summer 2022 | Student Advisor
Digital Student Intern and Student Advisor Eoin
Digital Student Intern and Student Advisor Michelle

I fully believe the confidence gained in the internship in interacting with fellow interns and other students and the experience of going through an EHU recruitment drive helped me apply for the Student Advisor role.

This confidence helped me hit the ground running when needing to engage with students during campaign weeks in the first weeks of the role.

Using creative skills to create module banners and content for Blackboard whilst working as an intern helped give me the problem-solving skills to support Student Advisor campaigns creatively.

Michelle | Digital Student Intern – Summer 2022 | Student Advisor

How do I apply?

You can apply for either (or both!) positions via Edge Hill University Vacancies Portal – you can sign up for job alerts from here too!

What if I need help with my application?

If you have any questions about the roles, or application process, you can get in touch with us by emailing [email protected] and the Helpdesk will triage your email to the right team.

Additionally, the Careers team have loads of great interview support on their web pages and can provide extra support with your application. And don’t forget you can use the Ask a Question function to have your application checked before submission.

If your application is successful you can also take advantage of the new digital video interview platform Shortlist.ME to practice your video interview skills and techniques. Or even book on the Careers Workshop: ‘How to plan and prepare for video interviews‘.

Good luck!

We wish you all the very best of luck with your applications and remember working as a student employee for Library and Learning Services can provide you with valuable experience, skills and knowledge while pursuing your studies and benefit you in your future career!

Keep an eye out for further opportunities to work for Library and Learning Services over summer as we’ll be advertising Student Assistant vacancies for the new academic year.

So what are you waiting for, apply today!

Student Advisors Rosie and Eoin staffing the Catalyst Crush stand on the ground floor of Catalyst in February 2023. They are standing either side of a feedback wall decorated with a Valentine's themed balloon arch and inflated balloon letters that spell out 'love' and there are also chains of hearts.
Student Advisors Rosie and Eoin having lots of fun during Valentines week 2023