Hello, and welcome, to all you lovely new Fastrack students arriving this week! You have a busy few weeks ahead of you, but Library and Learning Services are here to help and support you along the way!
First of all, who are we?
We are Library and Learning Services, and we are based in Catalyst at the heart of campus. Inside you will discover lots of resources, study spaces, computers, printing and copying facilities and a host of support! You will also find the Catalyst Helpdesk, your one stop location for all support enquiries from ourselves, Student Services and Careers. You can access the Catalyst Helpdesk weekdays 8am-8pm and weekends 10am-6pm; both on campus and online via email or our Ask Us knowledge base. Read more about Catalyst, and plan your visit, on our Using Our Services web pages.
Your Library Resources
We also have an extensive range of online resources, including thousands of eJournals and eBooks, you can access online 24/7. You can search for online resources via our Library Catalogue and Discover More. There are lots of guides, toolkits and videos available to help you access and make the most of your resources on our Finding Academic Information web pages. And if you need a helping hand searching and navigating your online resources, you can even book a 1-2-1 Information Skills appointment with the UniSkills team!
Academic Skills Support (UniSkills)
Although your DASS module will give you lots of information about how to develop your study skills at University, you also have access to our UniSkills support. We can provide extra help, support and guidance, should you need it, on a range of academic skills. As mentioned above, you can book a 1-2-1 appointment with one of our knowledgeable Academic Skills Advisors. And we have a range of UniSkills Webinars running across the summer. This summer we are introducing a new ‘Planning Ahead With UniSkills’ webinar, to help you prepare for the academic year ahead. These sessions are running all week from Monday 28th June to Friday 2nd July, every lunchtime. Be sure to book your place today at ehu.ac.uk/workshops
Specific Learning Disability (SpLD) Support
If you have, or think you have, a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) such as Dyslexia or Dyspraxia then you can access additional support from our SpLD team. Support is available from first point of contact with the team so do not hesitate to reach out. In addition to 1-2-1 Specialist Study Skills support we have a couple of other options we’d encourage you to investigate:
- Assistive Technology (AT) software is networked at the University and available for all students to access and use to help with academic study. This includes mind mapping and text-to-speech software such as; Read and Write, Inspiration and Mindview. 1-2-1 appointments and group demonstrations are also available for students.
- UniSkills Extra Webinars are aimed at students who have Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) or disability, however, all students are welcome to book. Facilitated by our friendly and knowledgeable Learning Support team, these workshops provide an informal safe space where you’ll be supported alongside other students in a small group setting.
- Email the SpLD team for more information about the support is available for you.
We have a range of guides, videos and advice available to help you get to grips with your blended learning on our Online Learning web pages. On here you can find out more about:
- the online learning platforms you may be using
- using Microsoft Teams
- tips for accessing webinars, online tutorials and meetings
- creating and using accessible documents and getting the most out of Blackboard Ally alternative formats
- and even support for any online assessments
Further Help and Support
For any general enquiries about Catalyst, Library resources for your studies, IT related issues or academic skills support you can contact the Catalyst Helpdesk and they will be able to advise or refer you on to the team or support you need.
Wishing you all the very best of luck with your Fastrack course and we look forward to supporting you very soon!