Library and Learning Services Student Engagement team (aka the UniSkills team) have recently recruited some new Student Advisors to join our already established (and award winning!) team. You may have already met Callie, Darren and Maya during #EHUReadySetRevise, or one of our recent UniSkills Webinars, but read on to find out more about who they are, what they are studying and how they can support you!
Hi! I’m Callie, a second year History with Politics student, and one of your Student Advisors. My favourite part of being at Edge Hill is the gorgeous campus that we are lucky to have. I love walking round the campus, especially in the summer!
As a Student Advisor I am here to help and support you throughout your studies. This includes helping you use the Library Catalogue and developing your academic abilities through a variety of different webinars available. I am looking forward to working with my colleagues to help assist with any troubles you may have. I found UniSkills extremely useful in my first year with things being different to how they were at sixth form. Attending the workshops definitely helped keep me on the right track. Hopefully they can help you too! I look forward to meeting some of you soon.
I love being a student at Edge Hill! The friends I have made here are amazing and the support the university has to offer is the best. I hope to contribute to that support and make the academic side of your university life easier with a little help from Library and Learning Services.
Hi, I’m Darren, one of the Student Advisors working within the Library and Learning Services team. I am still very new here at Edge Hill in my first year, studying Teaching, Learning and Child Development.
As a Student Advisor, I am here to support anyone and everyone with a range of academic skills, including; Harvard referencing, submitting work through Turnitin and any other enquiries or worries you may have. We are currently supporting Uniskills webinars as chat buddies, helping answer any questions you may have – so don’t be afraid to ask us; we are here to support you.
Although I have not been here long, I have learnt a lot since September; and will do my best to support everyone. I have enjoyed my first year at Edge Hill so much. And blended learning has allowed me to work at my own pace to develop and enhance my knowledge needed for my studies. I have also met a range of new people on my course and in my accommodation. All of which have become great friends. However, that’s not to say I have not found the year challenging at times with many barriers to overcome.
One of my favourite things about being an Edge Hill student is the range of facilities; including Catalyst, Sports and food outlets that the university offers; there are vast amounts of enjoyable experiences to be had on campus. I can’t wait to get to them all. Outside my academic work I enjoy going for a morning run, spending time with my friends and family and watching films at home. One of my favourite films is Wonder, which explores a boys world as he moves into 5th grade with a rare facial deformity.
Hi! I’m Maya, I’m a second-year student and I’m studying Film and Television Production.
My favourite thing about being a student at Edge Hill is the genuine amounts of fun I have. There’s always stuff happening on campus and things to do – like getting free ice cream from the ice cream trucks, karaoke on Fridays, and getting to practice producing magazine shows in the TV studio. I love keeping myself busy and that’s very easy to do here!
I’m a massive people person, so I’m looking forward to seeing so many new faces in my role as a Student Advisor. I love supporting people when they need it and answering any burning questions they may have so I’m more than happy to be on hand to do that!
How to Access Student Advisor Support
Our team of Student Advisors provide help, support and guidance to YOU on a peer to peer basis. The team bring a great variety of subject knowledge from their individual disciplines, together with a wealth of experience from studying at Edge Hill.
They can help you get the most out of the University Library, can help you to develop a range of introductory academic skills and can support with:
- Searching the Library Catalogue for books and eBooks
- Using Discover More to find online journal articles and other online resources
- Navigating Learning Edge/Blackboard and your subject specific resources
- Harvard referencing
- Accessing UniSkills academic support materials
Although the Student Advisors are working remotely at the minute, you can still access their help and support in a number of ways…
- Join them in one of our UniSkills Webinars as they attend everyone as a chat buddy. In this role they will answer your questions and queries using the chat feature within our virtual classrooms. They will also chip in to provide their own study experiences of the session topics.
- Join them in one of their very own UniSkills Webinars! Throughout the academic year the Student Advisors co-create and co-deliver their own series of webinars to help students navigate their way through university life and develop introductory academic skills. Their next sessions are at the end of June, with Plan Ahead With UniSkills, so book your places now!
- You can also contact us to book a peer-to-peer appointment with your Student Advisors. They can support you with all the topics mentioned above, and more – so if you’re not sure get in touch and we can help!
- The Student Advisor team also create lots of great content, videos and blogs for you so make sure you are keeping up-to-date by following Library and Learning Services on Twitter, Instagram and on our blog.
We hope this blog has provided you with some useful information! Your Student Advisors are looking forward to seeing and supporting you all soon!