Hi, my name is Dylan and I’m a Student Advisor for Learning Services.

I work alongside the team to support students in utilising the library’s resources and aiding with academic support such as referencing. As I have just graduated I thought I would pass on some advice to other students, irrespective of their year of study, to talk about lessons I’ve learned from studying at Edge Hill.

What would you tell your first-year self?

I’d tell my first-year self many things, but one of the main pieces of advice would be to join a society. I didn’t join any during my time at Edge Hill, but some people have met life-long friends through them. They’re also great for teamwork and communication skills, which is essential for employment as a student and a graduate! In your first week on campus you’ll be invited to the Welcome Fair where you can sign up to as many as you like.

What do you wish you’d known when starting at Edge Hill?

I wish I had known about the extensive UniSkills workshops that Learning Services host. After attending these as part of my role as a Student Advisor I can see how the workshops are valuable to all students with writing essays, dissertations, locating resources and referencing. If I had known how beneficial they were I would’ve definitely attended them earlier.

What has been the most rewarding part of your degree?

Watching myself progress, both academically and personally, has been the most rewarding part of studying. Meeting new people, taking part in extra-curricular events and studying with like-minded students has raised my confidence immensely. If it wasn’t for the help of my peers, my tutors and my colleagues, I don’t think I would’ve progressed into the person I am today. I look forward to seeing how much more I can develop when faced with new challenges in my postgraduate studies.

What has been the most challenging part of your degree?

Sticking to a schedule has always been the most challenging part for me. Having deadline after deadline approaching (especially during my third year) can make managing time difficult. When I do stay on track (sometimes even just for a day), I feel as though I’ve achieved more. It reduces my stress levels in the run up to my assignment submission dates too. Finding your own schedule that works for you could be your answer to reducing stress! The UniSkills webpages have useful resources for time management if you struggle with this too. 

What has been the most rewarding part of being a Student Advisor?

Being a Student Advisor has meant that I can work closely with other students and share my knowledge. I found it really rewarding to help students, whether that be regarding their assignment planning, referencing, or more generally such as sharing my own student experience with them. I have enjoyed meeting and chatting with prospective and current students at Edge Hill who all share the same passion for the University and for their subject area. I’m excited to use the skills I have gained whilst working for Learning Services in further employment.

What advice would you give to anyone starting their degree at Edge Hill University?

I have three pieces of advice!

1. I would advise people to make use of the facilities and services around them, whether that be Learning Services, Student Services, Wellbeing or Careers. These services are here to support all students, and have been created with you in mind, so take advantage of them!
  2. Don’t be worried! Starting university can be a daunting time but everyone at university is in the same boat. Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself to people and initiate new friendships, the other person will be glad that you started up a conversation.
  3. It is important to remember to enjoy this part of your life as it will be over in a flash! But, it goes without saying that you shouldn’t neglect your studies. Finding an even balance between studies and social life will benefit you in many ways.

Good luck to everyone who will be starting their University journey in September and to those continuing their studies!

Written by: DYLAN BOOTH

BA (Hons) Creative Writing

Student Advisor for Library and Learning Services