This year we welcome five new Student Advisors to our team: Dylan, Claire, Shelby, Rachel and Jade.

The Student Advisors are based in Catalyst and they are here to support you. The role of a Student Advisor is to provide help, support and guidance to other students on a peer to peer basis. The team are all current second, third year or Masters students and between them they bring a great variety of subject knowledge and experience, using all of that to support other students on their own University journey.

The support they provide revolves around getting the most out of your Library. They can help with searching the Library Catalogue for books and eBooks, using Discover More to find online journal articles, navigating Learning Edge, Harvard referencing and finding and accessing UniSkills academic support. They can also help you to develop a range of introductory academic skills and can introduce you to more specialised support where necessary.

Find out more about our Student Advsiors below and what they can help you with.

Name:

Dylan

Course:

3rd Year Creative Writing

Dream Job:

Poet

What do you do as a Student Advisor?

As a Student Advisor I support students in numerous ways. Students can book onto a 1-1 appointment with me to help find electronic and physical resources, with referencing, Discover More and with any general enquiries they have about the VLE. In the Catalyst we are available to help students with any enquiries they may have about printing, study spaces or general information about the Catalyst itself. If you see us, don’t hesitate to approach!

Name:

Claire

Course:

MSc Child and Adolescent Mental Health and Wellbeing

Dream Job:

Teaching / Supporting students with mental health difficulties

What do you do as a Student Advisor?

I work in Catalyst supporting students in accessing the resources they need, either by helping them search Discover More or the Library Catalogue. We also offer 1 to 1 appointments where we can support with assignment planning, note taking and referencing. I am always happy to share my experiences and coping strategies with other students.

Name:

Shelby

Course:

BSc (Hons) International Business

Dream Job:

Educational Development at Microsoft or Apple

What do you do as a Student Advisor?

As a Student Advisor I am based in the new Catalyst building which is made up of the Library and Learning Services. My role is to support students. I can help and assist students with several things such as:

• Helping student access the online library catalogue (Discover More)
  • Help students find learning materials E.g. Books, eBooks, CDs, DVDs, Teaching Resources.
  • How students can access a free television service called Box of Broadcasts and a free online course site called Learning with Lynda.
  • Helping student access and use the online Learning Edge.
  • Hosting 1-2-1 sessions on things like Harvard Referencing, Microsoft Office Basics, Learning Edge and many more.

There are many roles we under go as Student Advisors, but most of all we are here to share our knowledge and first hand experience as students ourselves. I personally enjoy my job and being able to help others in any way I can.

Name:

Rachel

Course:

3rd Year Early Childhood Studies

Dream Job:

CEO of a nursery chain

What do you do as a Student Advisor?

My role is to support students in making the most of all the learning services available to them in Catalyst and online. I help students find books, improve their referencing and navigate online resources through ‘Getting Started’ workshops as well as much more. I really enjoy offering students peer to peer support and helping them thrive!

Name:

Jade

Course:

3rd Year Nutrition and Health

Dream Job:

Within the Food Industry – Sourcing Food Ingredients

What do you do as a Student Advisor?

I work in the new Catalyst building for Learning Services, to assist students with all things to do with the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE). I can help students with Harvard referencing or searching for journal articles on Discover More.

My job as a Student Advisor also involves:

• Delivering peer to peer support to other students
  • Helping to locate physical and virtual resources within the library
  • Providing individual help with Harvard Referencing

The best part of my job is helping to make students feel welcome in an unfamiliar environment. I can point you in the right direction of all the services in Catalyst, just ask!