Categories
Uncategorized

In a moment like this…

So I’m here in sunny Denmark! The weather has been pleasant as I have made my way around the city on Saturday and Sunday.

2014-05-04 13.46.54

As you move around the city there is beautiful architecture, and coastal views (of which more during the week).  This building caught my eye – if you look closely and you can see people climbing the steps to the top. I won’t be doing that!

2014-05-04 13.26.08Whilst I awaited the arrival of my friend and fellow Eurovision scholar Professor Brian Singleton, I made my way to the press centre to collect my accreditation. This is my first glimpse of the venue for ESC2014, the B&W Hallerne…

2014-05-03 16.17.53

It really isn’t the most auspicious of buildings, is it! Yes, it is HUGE but also quite formidable. The surroundings don’t exactly suggest that Copenhagen is hosting the longest running and most watched television programme in Europe. Indeed, it would appear that the Eurovision has been sent to jail for crimes against popular music…

2014-05-03 16.20.14

All jokes aside, what the host broadcasters DK are aiming to do is deliver a media event that uses local spaces to deliver a media event that is linked in with sustainability and a green agenda. We’ll see how that translates over the coming week. Yes, we are located in an old shipyard – there is no disguising that – but it is the hope of the organisers that most of the people travelling to what has been named ‘Eurovision Island’ will do so by water on the many boats and ferries that link to the venue.  More on that as I navigate my way around the place.

The accreditation centre is at the back of the venue – a good two kilometre walk from the bus stop by the time you’re there. I was saying to my friend and fellow Eurovision scholar Dr Karen Fricker that there is a sense in which we are here to work the Eurovision and not be at it. I am yet to see the main entrance, so far I’ve been in via the tradesman’s entrance at the back…

2014-05-03 18.25.57

Once inside here’s a view of the working area of the press centre…

2014-05-03 17.44.51

Much smaller than last year, it already feels busier than in previous years prior to the start of the semi-finals. The facilities are also not as grand as in Malmö, but hey – this makes it more sustainable, right? It’s good to be be back in the bubble, but I haven’t yet had the opportunity to get into the venue for any rehearsals – that will happen on Monday. Hopefully I will get to see our artist Molly rehearse ‘Children of the Universe’ in the morning, followed by the first full dress rehearsal of the first semi-final in the afternoon. I think we have a better than good chance of being in the top five this year. I might even go as far as to say that this is the UK’s year. We’ll see/kiss of death!

In the evening I headed into town to have dinner with Karen and my dear friend Paul Jordan – that’s “Dr Eurovision” to you and me. Congrats to Paul as he has just published his thesis “The Modern Fairy Tale: Nation Branding, National Identity and the Eurovision Song Contest in Estonia”. If you fancy reading his research into nation branding, politics and how they relate to Eurovision, check it out. Also a reminder from previous years on this blog, you can visit Paul at www.dreurovision.com.

I had dinner in the Forum area of Copenhagen, which was also the location for the 50th anniversary concert for the Eurovision back in 2005…

2014-05-03 20.54.18

How apt that two-time Eurovision participant, Sir Cliff Richard will be playing here later this year…

2014-05-03 20.53.18

So, I’m getting my bearings in CPH for the ESC. Monday brings with it a change in gear. All the countries have done their initial rehearsals. The first dress rehearsal of the first semi-final is when it starts getting really interesting, and where the performance element, and how it is vision mixed for you guys at home, really can be a game changer. Watch this space for my reactions on Monday night…

By the way – the post title, my favourite Danish entry ever, sung by Chanée & N’Evergreen. How about a little reminder from ESC2010 in Oslo…

😀

4 replies on “In a moment like this…”

Seems we share a love of ‘a moment like this’. It is up there with my favourite Eurovision hits 😀

Looking forward to great pictures of flags 😉
Not to mention the inside look at the Euro bubble!