Categories
Uncategorized

Hej fra Copenhagen!

Hello again, everyone. How have you been?

It really doesn’t feel like a year since I was in Malmö covering what was, in all honesty, pretty much a sure bet that Denmark would win the 2013 Eurovision Song Contest. It was a deserving winner, and the reason why I am in Copenhagen for the next eight days. Indeed, I am back in the host country ‘Eurovision bubble’ for the sixth time in seven years, and this is the seventh occasion on which I will be blogging on all things Eurovision. For regular readers, welcome back. For new readers, welcome! For all, I hope to add a little something extra to your Eurovision experience.

Regular readers, since 2008, will know what’s in store on the blog for the next week: the backstage buzz from the arena, dress rehearsals, press centre and host country, as well as a panel supposed ‘Eurovision experts’ (including me!) predicting the winners and losers in the two semi-finals (broadcast on BBC3, Tuesday and Thursday this week, from 8.00pm), and ultimately naming the winning country, artist and song (BBC1, Saturday 10 May).

I think that this is a great year for songs – and the outcome is far from certain, which makes it much more interesting. A glance at the betting odds sees Armenia installed as the long-running favourite. I like the song, but can’t see it winning. You can see all the songs on the usual social media platforms, as well as the Eurovision web page (www.eurovision.tv), and as usual I’ll be reviewing all the songs after each of the semi-final dress rehearsals.

The theme for Eurovision this year is #JoinUs, and I’m looking forward to the week ahead and hope that you swing by the blog each day to #JoinMe.

More later today…

2 replies on “Hej fra Copenhagen!”

Hi Phil, I teach creative writing at Edge Hill and am a big Eurovision fan. I’m coming over on Friday. There’s 7 of us. We didn’t manage to get tickets for the final which was really disappointing but, still, I’m sure there’s going to be lots happening on Eurovision island. My friends are seeing one of the semi-finals but I’ve so much marking to do I decided to go a day later – big regret now.

Anyway, it’s a great year for songs. So many I like and the UK are definitely in with a chance this year if all the forums are anything to go by. I’m personally not that keen – hate the chorus too much (the rest of the song is great) but my odds are on Sweden which I love. Also love Greece, Hungary, Norway, Estonia, Israel and San Marino. It could be anyone’s game though. Who are you rooting for?

Hey Billy. Yeah, there will be lots to keep you occupied. As well as Eurovision Island there is what is know at the “Fan Mile”, along which there are lots of ESC related activities, and the Euro Cafe that you can go to. When you arrive in the airport there are volunteers and information stands, so be sure to get the maps and leaflets so that you can cram it all in.

Songs wise I think we might be back in Denmark next year. Or the Uk, maybe Sweden, and my fave is Austria – bond theme much?! Yes, a wide open year for a change so all bets are off really!

There are still tickets for the Jury Final on Friday night – gives you the run through of the final, or the family final on the Saturday afternoon – worth looking!