I have watched every David Attenborough documentary that has ever been released. After watching them, I’d feel guilty for the plastic bottle that I bought that day or for using a straw in a restaurant, but the feeling wouldn’t last long and I’d be back to using pointless, single-use plastic again the day after. However, I recently watched Our Planet, a Netflix series that celebrates the wonders around the world. The difference with this documentary was the lack of emotional blackmail, it was purely a celebration of life on this earth. However, Attenborough would formally and factually tell you how many of these animals or areas of the world were left. No emotions, no blackmail, just facts – and the numbers were absolutely depressing. After a lecture about the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals, I decided to really make a change in my lifestyle. I am not turning into a ‘crazy eco activist’, not that there is anything wrong with devoting your life to helping the world, but I just wanted to make better choices. I thought I would share those changes with you today to show how easy it is to make a difference. People always say ‘I do my bit, I recycle my plastic bottles and tin cans’ – unfortunately that’s not enough, because most of the time that recycling ends up in a landfill, the ocean or rivers. It’s not a solution, we need to do a bit more. If everyone put in a little more effort and thought in the choices they make, we could see a huge difference to the environment. So let’s get started.

Plastic bags

Every year 800,000 tonnes of so-called single-use plastic bags are used in the European Union – the average EU citizen used 191 of them in 2010, the Commission says, and only 6% were recycled and more than four billion bags are thrown away each year. (BBC, 2012)

I know there’s a running joke for the fact most of us have 10+ ‘bags for life’ in the boots of our cars, and when you get into the shop you remember that you forgot them and end up buying a plastic bag anyway. It’s happened to me a few times. You can either ask a member of staff to keep your trolley aside while you nip to the car and get them – they will do this – or place it back into your trolley and pack it into your bags when you get to the car. Also, if you have a few times, think to yourself – do I really need a plastic bag to walk this to the car, or back home, to take it out and put it in the bin? Just carry it and on your way home think of the small impact you have had by not using a pointless single-use plastic bag. If you do have to buy a plastic back from a supermarket or shop, don’t just put it in the bin. Keep it in your car of in your handbag and re-use it, or recycle it. Think.

Metal straws

Plastic straws are one of the top 10 items found every year during Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup. Plastic is not biodegradable — instead, the material eventually breaks down into tiny particles known as microplastics that are 5 millimetres or smaller in length, making them difficult to clean or filter from the oceanPlastic is polluting oceans all over the planet, interfering with underwater ecosystems, killing sea animals, and more.

Now I know people don’t like seeing images of animals in distress and you have to question why. Why are you uncomfortable? The answer is because it’s uncomfortable. What makes us feel bad is that situations like the one below are actually caused by us. This poor sea turtle is bleeding and in a heart-breaking amount of pain because these wonderful humans are having to rip a plastic straw out of its nose. I don’t like these videos as much as the next person but I beg you to watch it, it’s important for us to see the damage we are really doing to the oceans.

Metal straws are becoming more and more popular. I know that some companies, such as McDonalds have banned plastic straws (which is great) but are receiving backlash as they have introduced paper straws, which start to disintegrate before you have finished your drink. I am an advocate for the ban of plastic straws but I have to question if paper straws are nearly as bad in terms of carbon footprint. I have seen people ask for another straw before they have finished their drink, these produced paper straws are also single-use and are although they are a substitute for plastic, I feel like we can make an even better choice and invest in a metal straw that we can carry around with us in our bag or pocket and reuse time and time again. No plastic and a better carbon footprint, an easy choice. (If you want to go that extra step you could even purchase some bamboo straws, even better for the environment!)

Plastic alternatives or reuses

Big brands like Adidas and Converse have released a line of shoes and clothing that are made from 100% recycled bottles. Maybe think about investing in more eco footwear and clothing when you next go shopping. They’re actually pretty trendy too.

I think my constant nagging about plastic, such as refusing to buy plastic bags and carrying potatoes in my t-shirt in defiance has spread around the people closest to me, which I love. When I came back to the UK after my summer in Saudi Arabia, my Mum had bought a Virgin Pure Water Bar for the house. We are a family of fish, we drink so much water and we were going through a disgusting amount of water bottles as we can’t drink tap water. It’s expensive, but it’s an investment that will absolutely pay for itself. The Water Bar gives you triple filtered, purified water – boiling or ice cold. We got rid of our kettle too which has helped decrease our energy bill.

TEACHERS!!! This one is for you.
I know how amazed I was when I first discovered laminating. I laminated everything in my first year as a TA and I’ve realised recently how damaging it is to the environment. It is pointless plastic. However, I found this lovely little idea on my teaching Instagram and I absolutely love it:

There are so many more changes you can make to reduce your plastic usage but the big thing that I’d like you to take away from this post is to think. Just think if there is a better choice that may take a little more effort or a little more money, think about the impact you could make. Never ever feel like your change won’t make a difference. If everyone felt like that, we’d all be doomed. If more and more people make small changes, it’s amazing what could happen.

Thank you so much for reading. Please try and make a change.