This information only applies to the Blackboard Assignments tool which formerly used the Crocodoc viewer. It does not apply to assignments submitted or marked through Turnitin.
On 18th December Blackboard Assignments was upgraded to use New Box View to preview student submissions. Annotations made to submissions with the old Crocodoc tool were converted to pdfs and are available to view through New Box View.
What will New Box View offer?
- New Box View allows many more file types to be previewed, including audio, video, image and plain text files, in addition to the standard Microsoft Office and PDF files that Crocodoc previewed.
- All annotations made in Crocodoc will be available to be viewed and downloaded through New Box View, however they cannot be changed or deleted.
- Marks and feedback comments can be added in the panel on the right hand side and these will feed into the grade centre as before.
- Safe Assign works as before.
- Rubrics work as before.
- Annotation of submissions within New Box View is still under development. Students cannot download their annotated work and due to the limitations of Box it can be hard for students to view annotation comments, and in some cases, comments may be missed altogether.
- We strongly recommend that you do not use the annotation tools within New Box View until improvements to the interface are made.
A one page Quick Guide to New Box View is available for both staff and students:
If you are using Turnitin or Turnitin Feedback studio to mark and annotate submissions this change does not affect you and you can continue to mark and add annotations within the Turnitin portal as normal.
If you have any questions please add a comment or email [email protected]