Categories
Uncategorized

Von-trapped in the arena…

flag

I have spent most of the last two days in the arena and press centre. I haven’t really had a chance to explore this lovely city yet. That will come in the days ahead, and I know that there has been a lot going on in the euro-bubble. I know that I feel like I’ve been making up for arriving slighly late on Monday – and that I’m all caught-up now (literally!).

I hope you enjoyed the show last night – and that your favourite songs got through. My ‘napkin of death’ predictions were a bit out, but I’ve figured my mistake this year is that I’m selecting songs that I like, rather than to progress at this stage. I will try and do a little better for tomorrow night’s second semi-final (of which I have just seen the first dress rehearsal – but more of that on Thursday morning). A few pics from my point of view last night…

Entry to the venue was quick and easy…

venue venue2Inside the auditorium there was a fantastic buzz. It is the smallest I can remember, but that somehow added to the excitement – and probably why it was so hard to get tickets this year. Inside the view was good, from the main stage to the green room at the back of the arena (which as you can see is elevated this year above the audience, and with only the commentators booths behind them)…

stage1stage2greenroomI thought the whole visual design and effects, as well as the stage was stunning – I know it will have looked good on the telly. Two weeks of rehearsals, and about six weeks setting it up in Vienna results in a highly accomplished set of shows. We are all particularly taken by the amazing ball sculpture floating above the audience – it’s just stunning! I thought it was a visual effect when I saw it on screen! 😀

ballsIt was a quick two hour show – although I felt that the presenters were a little dull. C’mon ladies – more energy on Thursday night! My good friend Paul (Dr Eurovision) Jordan was once again doing his thang on BBC3 – and I know some of you thought he did a great job, so well done Paul! We could just see him from our seats doing the wrap-up interview as we left…

paul last night(yeah I know – not a great photie!)

It took less than twenty minutes to get back to our hotel, which was a relief as it would be an early start for us on Wednesday morning, as the ‘Big 7″ take to the stage for their second rehearsal slots. Like I said, at this point I really am von-trapped with all the cool stuff happening in and around the arena… and I’m loving it!

More soon…