Addison Brown in a still from the Government's recent 'Every Lesson Shapes a Life' campaign video, stood outside a building in London.

Addison Brown studied for a PGCE in Secondary Science (Biology) with qualified teacher status (QTS) here at Edge Hill University, graduating in 2017. Now teaching at a high school in Leigh, Greater Manchester – and the face of the Government’s new Get Into Teaching campaign (video below), we caught up with Addison to find out how he’s finding life in the classroom.

Name: Addison Brown
Age: ​27
Hometown: Stoke-on-Trent
Subject: Biology

I love my subject and have always enjoyed working with children. I feel I can make a difference. My mum’s a teacher and has always been enthusiastic about teaching, and my sports coaches as a kid showed me that working with children is really fulfilling.

Teaching has its downsides, but the positives are amazing, and every day something will happen that makes you think it’s worth it and it’s an amazing job

Edge Hill was exactly what I needed to become a teacher: the right balance of time in school and University, as well as providing an awareness of the reality behind teaching.

At school I was a typical boy. I had the ability, and my behaviour was good. I’ve always been very competitive, but unless challenged in a lesson I would only do just enough to scrape by. So I feel I can relate to a majority of students and this allows me (hopefully) to connect, make good relationships and bring out the best in children.

I remember being very nervous on my first day on placement in a school. Despite the fact I’d been teaching swimming and water polo to 30+ kids, there definitely seemed to be feelings of anxiety. Most people would agree that talking to a room full of very honest teenagers is a daunting task. You find a way to drive on, though.

I love my mornings. If my six-month old baby allows, I try to be in quite early. This allows me to come in, flick on the lights, get Spotify on, mark for an hour, then make sure I’m all prepped for the day. More work in the morning means less work at night.

I learn from my pupils all the time, and not necessarily about my subject. You learn about kids and their different backgrounds and the ways they approach various challenges in their day-to-day life. And even though I’m only 27 you definitely start feeling old when your students have to explain new trends, words and ways of the world.

I’ve embarrassed myself in front of my pupils loads of times. But it actually helps build relationships with students because they realise that you are actually human. Whether it’s walking into stuff or a slip of the tongue. Many science words can easily sound like something the kids find hilarious, and if you’ve taught a few too many times in a week your brain can slip up.

The hardest part of the job for me is whether I’ve given enough attention to every member of the class. Not just the really clever ones, or the really naughty ones, but the ones who sit and do everything you ask but may not fully understand. The most rewarding is the light bulb moment when things click and students get what you’ve been doing, as well as simple thank yous and opening doors, acting like polite and mature students.

A good teacher… works hard for every student and remembers that children have a reason for everything. Behind every act of defiance is a kid who may have real, serious issues outside of school. School is a safe place in a child’s life, where everyone is honestly wanting the best for them. You’re not always making the scientists, scholars, doctors, engineers of tomorrow, but you are making young adults who can enter the world with resilience and manners.