BA (Hons) Criminology

“Although going into a prison seems really scary at first, it’s actually very interesting and allows me to see the day-to-day goings on within a prison, as well as the standard of education prisoners in the UK are provided.”

Hi! I’m Daria, a second year student here at Edge Hill University.

I chose to study Criminology at University because I have a really keen interest in society and how society responds to crime, how we punish crime and how different sexes, social groups are victims of crime and how their punishments differ.

Here at Ede Hill I have taken many interesting modules, and my favourite module so far would have to be Generating Reputations. This module goes into extreme detail on how social groups are given their identity and how different social groups are punished more harshly than others.

During my time at Edge Hill I’ve had many opportunities from the Criminology department, including a module called ‘Learning Together’ that I’ll undertake in my third year. This module allows students to go into prisons, such as Thorn Cross in Liverpool, to learn with prisoners. Although this seems really scary at first, it’s actually very interesting and allows me to see the day-to-day goings on within a prison, as well as the standard of education prisoners in the UK are provided.

I chose to study at Edge Hill because it had a really friendly feel to me and it me and was just what I wanted in a University. Edge Hill has many different sports teams and societies, and I’m part of the EHU Emeralds – a Cheerleading society – and this has taught me how to dance and do stunts, as well as increasing my confidence and pushing me outside my comfort zone.

I have met many friends through the EHU Emeralds, as well as on my course and living in halls. Edge Hill is just really a friendly place and I’ve really enjoyed my time here so far. I hope my insights might help you in making what can seem to be a very scary and hard decision.