Obviously everyone in the video is very positive about the idea and their definition of wonk supports that:
wonk | noun
- An intellectually curious person; expert in a field: physics wonk
- A knowledgeable Washington insider: policy wonk
- Someone focused on an issue and passionate about creating meaningful change: financial reform wonk, human rights wonk, sustainability wonk
- American University person in the know
wonk (plural wonks)
- (derogatory) An overly studious person, particularly student; a nerd.
- (by extension) A policy wonk or other intellectual expert.
I really can’t imagine this working for a university in the UK. Maybe we’re more conservative – although I find that slightly hard to believe – or maybe the typical 18 year old student has a different idea of what university life is about? I hope the campaign is successful for American University – it’s certainly a very bold move and I’m impressed by a lot of the material they’ve produced to support it.