Infrastructure dreams

16

I’ll admit it, I like to dream too.. though I’m sure it’s not much of a secret, the content of my dreams will surprise some!

I dream about ideal web serving infrastructures.

There, I said it, and this is my dream:

What I’m hoping to get set up in the new year is all sorts of cool stuff that I’ve been trying to find excuses to implement!

I’d first like Internet users to come in and hit our main Zeus Load Balancer this gives us the flexibility of being able to route the web requests anywhere we like instead of moving IP’s and changing DNS.
Then could hit Varnish Cache and have all the static bits and pieces cached in there which should take load off of poor old Apache (maybe we’ll try out nginx..).
From there I’ll be caching frequently built HTML fragments and database calls in memcached.
I’d like to try and factor in MySQL Proxy at some point to take the load off of out MySQL server and get it spread out to some slaves, which should make backing up much quicker too.

What’s your infrastructure like?

Can people see and problems and suggest alternatives?

Ste Daniels

P.S. I totally published this on the 16th at 8am and not on the 17th at 4:30pm! (Maybe the snow delayed the delivery?)