Dashboards

Colorful house number, two
In my previous post I talked about Wallboards. As an aside, I’ve just started experimenting with using some old O2 Joggler’s as miniature information radiators in my new home. But that’s another blog post for another blog! This time round I’m covering dashboards!

Dashboards are beautiful things that seem to be getting slung haphazardly into all sorts of applications these days.. “view this on your dashboard” “view that on your dashboard” “configure it from your dashboard”.. blah blah blah. Dashboards can be a Good Thing™.

Here at Edge Hill University we run the our GO portal, we’ve written about GO many times so I won’t go into detail here, suffice to say it’s a portal that gives you tabs – your Home tab is effectively your “dashboard”. On my GO Home tab I’ve got some useful information shown to me – it stops me hunting around various places, all of it is Edge Hill specific.

GO home tab

On there I’ve got mail, Edge Hill rss feeds, staff directory, GO news, the forum – all bits of information I regularly check. The dashboard pulls it all together so I can access it at a glance. Saving me a lot of time.

I do the same with JIRA and Fisheye as you can see below:

JIRA dashboard

All my development information needs at my fingertips…

Do you pool information you want on dashboards of some sort of other? I know I’m missing the all important personal non worky dashboard for Facebook, Picassa, Flickr and other news feeds.. but I’m at work – I get distracted easily enough as it is without all that!

How many dashboards do you have? What’s on them?

Next up is home tabs..

Ste Daniels