Yammer: Corporate Twitter

We do go on about twitter don’t we?  For me its both social and an invaluable tool.  I can keep in touch with my family and friends and I can get answers to very specific technical questions that Google can only do its best to find.  Some people dislike twitter, but this might appeal more.  Many people just don’t get twitter, or are fearful of exposing personal details over the web.  Enter Yammer.

Yammer is twitter-for-business.  Its an enterprise application, which means that we can restrict users to those with an .edgehill.ac.uk email address.  There are currently 40,000 companies who use Yammer and it took the top prize in 2008 at TechCrunch50 (so somebody likes it).  For Edge Hill, it might provide an easy way for academic staff and students to stay in touch, even if its only to inform of cancelled/re-arranged lectures, room changes etc.

Sign-up is easy,  register using your Edge Hill email address, and you’ll be added to the community.

Sign Up Screen
Sign Up Screen

I signed up over a year ago  but over time twitter exploded and I forgot about it, but a recent artlicle about the new desktop client re-awakened my interest.  Yammer now has clients for desktops, iPhone and Blackberry and a load of plugins for other stuff.  Existing twitter users can integrate the two and pass work related tweets by adding the #yam hashtag (twitter hashtags explained).

Integrating Yammer and Twitter
Integrating Yammer and Twitter

It’d be good to see signup from both existing twitter users and non-twitter users to see if we can build some applications which are Edge Hill specific.  At the very least we should be able to add a feed of posts alongside the discussion forum or even integrate them into the discussion.  All ideas welcome….

4 thoughts on “Yammer: Corporate Twitter

1. Hi there. Yammer is a SaaS product, and it’s T&Cs require end-users to consent that all their personal information can be transferred over the US, which seems to fall foul of the EU data protection obligations the HE institutions need to abide by. Yammer is not listed with Safe Harbor either. Also username & password management looks tricky though I guess the offer of SAML (Shibboleth) support may solve that problem.

2. Hi Anthony,

We are actually in the process of obtaining the EU Safe Harbor seal within the next month which should alleviate your concerns.

If you have any particular questions, please email us at help@yammer.com

Thanks,

Rahul

Yammer Team