Browser security

My web browser of choice is Firefox. One of the appeals is the pile of add-ons that you can use to personalise the way you view the web. If I were recommending a browser, that’s the one I’d go for.

Opera Stay SecureAs a web developer, I also need to test how pages look in other browsers so I tend to have the most up-to-date versions of the common ones, IE, Safari, Chrome and Opera.

Yesterday I was looking at Opera’s widgets and noticed “Stay Secure”. Useful for very quickly displaying the current vulnerabilities of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, Safari and Konqueror in an unobtrusive graphic on your desktop.

The information is provided by Secunia and by clicking on any of the browser icons on the the graphic the detailed report from Secunia is accessed.

So now, if you were to ask me to recommend a browser, I’d say Firefox, but use Opera (and the Stay Secure widget) for your secure transactions (if the site works in Opera ).

One reply on “Browser security”

1. If more people were using Opera and Firefox… It would be good to compare these browsers (except for MIE, of course) on different operating systems than Windows. I do use Linux Mandriva, I was using Linux SuSE before and I’ve never experienced any security problem. My girlfriend’s PC runs on Windows and I can’t say how all security fixes + antivirus slow down that computer. Soon I’ll install Mandriva on her laptop too. No more slowdowns.