I mentioned previously about some of the feeds we’re providing for news and events and said at the end of the post that we’d be doing some stuff for the Institutional Web Management Workshop. Well it’s finally time that we have to firm up what that stuff is!
Edge Hill – along with the Universities of Aberdeen and Bath – are sponsoring the workshop’s Innovation Competition. For this we’re letting people know what data we have available for people to use in the creation of innovate, lightweight demonstrations of web technologies.
For the Big Brief we’ve restructured several of our systems to allow information to be extracted in different ways. Now as well as viewing web pages, you can use our data the way you want to or access in more machine-readable forms.
- News: Atom, JSON, PHP serialized string, YAML.
- Events: Atom, microformats, JSON, PHP serialized string, YAML, XML (formatted for use by the timeline), iCal.
- Job vacancies: Atom. May add further formats in future.
- Courses: XCRI-CAP 1.1 (very much work in progress – may not always validate!!).
- Search results: there are some microformats embedded within search results and we’re looking to provide more formats.
Several of these feeds we use internally – for example, the JSON feed of events is used to populate the calendar in the sidebar to show what days events are on.
It’s all work in progress so we’ll be adding more formats in the coming months but I’m really looking forward to seeing the ways people can use information from the website as part of the innovation competition.