An Apple a Day

Apple recently released the latest version of Safari and it’s really impressive. It’s blisteringly fast compared to Firefox 2 and IE (Firefox 3 – currently in testing – is set to be pretty fast as well). In the last couple of days Apple has started pushing this out along side updates to Quicktime and iTunes.

This comes as absolutely no surprise to me, in fact I predicted it when Apple first announced Safari was coming to Windows:

It will be interesting to see how much market share they can get from IE, Firefox and Opera, and I suspect that as soon as it comes out of beta they’ll be pushing it out along side QuickTime and iTunes.

Quite a few people are upset about this. Seriously, get over it. If it reduces the number of people using criminally bad web browsers like IE 6 then that’s a good thing.

5 thoughts on “An Apple a Day

1. That’s true, but I don’t see that it’s significantly different to what many other companies do. Adobe and Microsoft both try to push out “extras” via their update systems. Mozilla are just jealous that they don’t have the market leading MP3 player to help them improve market share 😉

I should add that I’m not an Apple groupie – I hate QuickTime with a passion, iTunes’ UI makes me cringe – but I do think it’s important the the mass public adopt modern web browsers quickly. That ~25% of users are still using IE6 depresses me every time I have to track down some obscure rendering problem. If Apple can hand hold a few luser away from IE6 then you’ll get no complaints from me.

2. But considering how many users use firefox, and are brought to it because they want to (word of mouth etc), and not using a crappy browser made by Apple.

Nothing wrong with Apple, I own an iPod.

3. Hi Josh,

I wouldn’t say Safari is crap – it’s blisteringly fast and renders most pages very well, but it does suffer the same horrible UI that iTunes has.