Pecha Kucha

Ever heard of Pecha Kucha? Me neither until last Friday when I read an article in the January (2008, no I don’t understand it either) issue of PC Pro! It’s Japanese for “chit chat” and it’s all the rage amongst those crazy designer types. It aims to put an end to “Death by PowerPoint” by giving a rigid structure to presentations to help keep the flow moving and get through more in one session.

The concept is simple. 20 slides; 20 seconds per slide; GO! You don’t have time to bore the audience and this is why it’s gaining popularity in the business world. Seth Godin puts it quite succinctly:

Tell me a problem that can’t be outlined in six minutes and I’ll show you a problem it’s probably not worth having a meeting about.

I’d be up for giving this a go at Edge Hill! Anyone else fancy picking a topic that might be of interest to colleagues (or even something people might not be interested in – it only lasts 6m 40s!) and doing a turn?

5 thoughts on “Pecha Kucha

1. Maybe this is something that we could try within IT Services at an away day or something, it would be a perfect way to update each other on current projects and share ideas with the rest of the dept. about future projects. Maybe after the away day we could present an overview to the rest of the institution (if there was the interest!)

Quite a lot of the meetings I’ve attended take longer than 6 m 20m just to take apologies, go over the minutes and go over the agenda. There also needs to be a law that prevents people writing powerpoint presentations that last over 6 minutes.

2. Definitely. The PC Pro article seemed to show that it’s had some success in a business setting where it’s important to get the key messages across quickly. But I’d also like to see it on a wider scale where other departments and academics share their knowledge.

3. I’ve done a couple of these, they’re brilliant.

We expanded on it a few months back on our XTech2007 de-brief and did one slide/20 seconds per presentation that we saw – it was a good way of covering two people’s worth of a week’s talks.

4. This sounds like something to try out at the IWMW 2008 event. Perhaps for brief updates by techies on topics which managers need to know about?

Brian Kelly, UKOLN