Better Blog Day 3: Search for and Join a Forum

Yes, yes, I know I’ve missed out day 2 – I’ll come back to that once I’ve found a suitable candidate who hasn’t read the blog. So on to day 3:

Search for and Join Forums on Your Blog’s Topic

This could be a bit tricky – I don’t really know of any forums directly related to HE web services! I subscribe to a couple of JISCmail lists and try to chip in whenever I feel I have something to add but there’s something different about forums.

One forum I do post on is the symfony project forum, although I have to admit that I’ve been a bit slack lately. Forums are a very useful source of information if you’re closely involved, and the symfony one has been great for picking up ideas and best practices, as well as giving something back to the community by answering other people’s questions.

So I’m going to steal Michele Martin’s key learning for day 3:

• I need to pay more attention to forum posts to 1) participate in the conversation and 2) identify questions to answer or topics to write about. I’m going to try to do at least one post to a forum this weekend.
  • I should be sure to add my blog URL to my signature.

In the meantime, if anyone knows of good forums related to what we do in a Web Services team (I’m assuming here that you know what we do in Web Services…!) then feel free to post a comment.

2 replies on “Better Blog Day 3: Search for and Join a Forum”

1. Thanks. I visit a few Google Groups from time to time, but usually only when I’m looking for something! I’d really like some quite focused forums or groups but I suspect that there aren’t any in the UK. I should go looking for some US University web development communities and see what we can learn from across the pond.