Happy Birthday Blogosphere

The WSJ has decided that blogging is 10 years old. Their article, while having a bit too much of a US bias, is interesting reading to see the kinds of people who produce and consume blogs – it’s no longer the reserve of the tech community with all areas of life opened up to blogging.

It’s also interesting to see some of the blogs that other people read. Most people don’t openly publish their reading list and the web is often a very solitary experience – you can’t sneak a look at what magazine someone is reading like you could on a train. Sites like del.icio.us help sharing of individual pages but more often subscribing to a blog feed is about more than just an individual post – you’re in it for the long term!

So over the next few weeks – while I’m away from the office – I’m going to try to share with you, dear readers, some of the feeds I subscribe to, the reasons why and what I’ve learnt from them! Of course I will be self-censoring and picking mostly feeds that might be of interest to more than just me but hopefully it will spread the message about some useful sites.

Feel free to join in at home or work – post your own blogs about interesting feeds or leave a comment, and if you’re not yet taking advantage of the power of RSS, then why not log on to Google Reader* and get started!

Via GigaOM and The Guardian.

* Other listings magazines are available.

5 replies on “Happy Birthday Blogosphere”

1. Full marks to whomever found the link to “85+Free Killer Resources Every Designer Should Know” in your sidebar. A really useful site containing not just links to other design resources, but comments born out of hands-on experience with those sites.

2. As a recent convert to feeds etc., I’m finding the Technorati Tracker useful for seeing blog posts referring to the university (as well as the occasional Civil war battleground or train station), YouTube video bar for EHU-related video content, and the education papers’ newsfeeds save me a trip to the SCR to root around in the papers and wrestle the Telegraph away from Graham Roberts.. Then Google Reader gets me posts from blogs I’m particularly interested in… so iGoogle has become a sort of radar screen for many things I’m interested in, with other life-running tools as well.