@media2007: Joe Clark: When Web Accessibility is not your problem

Joe Clark is the author of Building Accessible Websites and is a former member of The Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI). He was dismissed from the working group for The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG 2.0).

He has since criticised WCAG 2.0 in the article To Hell with WCAG 2.0, and has formed WCAG Samurai, a group committed to making updates and corrections to WCAG 1.0.

There is obviously a lot of political baggage relating to WCAG 2.0 that I’m not in a position to comment on. I do however remember the presentation given by Gez Lemon and Patrick Lauke at @Media 2006 regarding baselines for WCAG 2.0. I was left very confused to why the document did not have specific examples of how guidelines should be implemented using HTML, they were instead “Technology Neutral”, so the guidelines could be applied across all formats including Flash, PDF etc.

I have tried to read WCAG 2.0 and found it impossible, although most W3C guidelines are pretty unreadable if you have my attention span.

So Joe Clark’s presentation was highly anticipated and its title When Web Accessibility is not your problem looked like a formula for further controversy.

The bulk of the presentation related to font-sizing and how although developers are responsible for the readability of their websites, they should not be expected to provide text resizing as part of the sites functionality.

Font resizing on a page is something the browser should do and does do, there are exceptions, for example Internet Explorer 6 does not resize text properly if the font-size or line-height is defined as a pixel measurement. Most responsible designers size their text in ems to combat this, and I’m sure will continue to do so for as long as IE6 remains the dominant user agent.

The second half related to the shortcomings of screen readers in understanding html abbreviation and acronym tags. Joe used examples of unusual acronyms to great comic affect, but I feel that this part of the presentation related to his interest in linguistics, their relevance to accessibility was a little tenuous. We will continue to mark up abbreviations and acronyms properly even if Jaws thinks that E. coli is an acronym.

It seems that most issues relating to accessibility are still very much our problem.

The presentation overran and this meant there was no left time for questions, I heard quite a bit of complaining and I heard a few unflattering references to the size of Clark’s ego. I found the presentation informative and funny, I didn’t learn many new tips to help make the Edge Hill University site more accessible, but I did learn a little about the quirks of Assistive Technology software and the politics of W3C.

9 thoughts on “@media2007: Joe Clark: When Web Accessibility is not your problem

1. Justin Thorp

Have you read the latest draft of the W3C’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0? A lot of the development community, even Joe Clark, has come out saying they were impressed by the improvements that have been made.

“Next, Web accessibility is being handled. I haven’t read the new version of WCAG 2, but I’ve read the change documents, and it’s clearly much better.” – Joe Clark
    http://blog.fawny.org/2007/06/08/retired/

2. Joe Clark

Of course you can keep on using abbr and acronym. Why not? I recommended that. But only use and expansion if you think it would be confusing otherwise.

I was *three minutes* overtime, and that was the first time in 18 years of public speaking it ever happened. Let’s relax about that, please. I had a lot to cover. The WCAG Samurai unveiling, which you didn’t mention, has been saved up for over a year and took a bit of time.

Everyone has an ego. People only mention it when somebody else gets away with having a bigger one.

Now, why didn’t you come say hello?

3. Sam Trafford Post author

Hi Joe

Thanks for reading the post

I apologise for the rather brief mention of WCAG Samurai. I will continue to comment in further posts when I have done more research.

I think it would have been good to have a Q & A session regardless of time-scales, but the organisers obviously had their reasons for calling time.

4. Sam Trafford Post author

Hi Justin

I’ve read that the recent draught of WCAG 2.0 is much better, but no I have not read it. I think it’s about time I did!

5. Sam Trafford

Hi Patrick, I only saw you once, when you read the German passage during one of the lectures, then you vanished!

I’ll have a good look at those links