And The Winner Is…….!

Gooooooooood morning lovely Edge Hillians!

I hope you’re all enjoying the first day of your Easter break whilst your dedicated sabbs are sat freezing in the SU (due to the fact that VP health, Christian, thinks it’s perfectly acceptable to fling the window open at every opportunity!)

Anyway, I’m back to sum up the frantic state that was March/is April!

Obviously, quite a bit has happened since I last posted (work has been stressful so I just haven’t found the time – my sincerest apologies).

Obviously we had the SU Elections around the middle of March – this was the second elections that I’ve participated in and whilst I actually rather enjoyed it this time, I’m super glad I won’t have to do it again! A metric tonne of you (just over 1900) voted for your new sabbatical team, which consists of: Kayley Wilson as President, Codie Austin as VP Arts and Sciences, Tami Giles as VP Education and Thomas Hurdsfield as VP Health and Social Care. I’m super proud of what we all achieved and just want to thank everyone who voted – it’s really important that you engage with the SU and I’m sure the team will have the best time representing you all from August onwards.

L-R: Thomas, Tami, Kayley and Codie

L-R: Thomas, Tami, Kayley and Codie

Along with the regular sabbatical positions, you also elected your 4 NUS Delegates, which are: Alex Prestage, Makaz Ahmed, Kayley Wilson and me! As your delegates, we’ll be off to NUS National Conference tomorrow (Tuesday April 8th) until Thursday. I’m stupidly excited for this, as I’d like to end up working for NUS one day. Essentially, the point of conference is to gather sabbatical officers from all over the UK together with NUS officers to discuss policies, vote in the NUS Elections and take part in motion debates. It all sounds pretty daunting to me, but I’m sure we’re all super psyched to be representing Edge Hill (and you guys!) on a national level.

Moving on from elections, last week was Awards Week! This included the Sports Awards, Course Rep/Volunteer Awards and the Landlord Awards. For us sabb officers, this meant lots of meetings with the Marketing and Volunteering teams to make sure that each event went smoothly. As can be expected from our lovely staff members, everything went great and we were able to recognise an extremely large amount of impressive talents from you wonderful bunch of rogues! Having been a course rep and volunteer myself during my student days, I was really proud to see so many people being recognised for their hard work and dedication to helping others. Let’s keep it up and see if we can do more next year!

10167978_690427717665805_464274043_n

A bit of a touchy subject now, but last week was also Varsity against UCLan. This was my first time watching and working on Varsity and I got completely taken in by the great atmosphere and the excitement of all the matches! I’m not a particularly big sports fan, so it was actually a great opportunity for me to see exactly what it takes to make a great team. I was strolling about with the other sabbs, keeping an eye on the scores and updating the Team Edge Hill Twitter and I had an absolute blast – although I won’t be around as a sabb next year, I’ll definitely come along to show my support! Unfortunately, we didn’t win (boooo! We were robbed!) but everyone put in an amazing amount of effort and they all achieved something great – we can use this as fuel to beat them next year!

Now, let us look into the future, to the Student Led Staff Awards! This is essentially a set of awards which revolve around you nominating a member of staff who has stood out for you – it could be a member of teaching staff who has offered you extra support with assignments, someone from catering/FM/the accommodation team who’s helped you in a difficult situation OR even a certain faculty Vice President who has represented you and given you awesome blogs to read over the last few months *COUGH COUGH*

If you’d like to nominate someone, just follow the link and fill out the form – it’s as simple as that! www.surveymonkey.com/s/6Q7Y2HG

That’s about all I can think of now, I’m sure I’ve forgotten something (as I always do) but there’s always room for that in the next blog.

I hope you all have a great Easter, enjoy time seeing your family if you’re going home, finally get through your dissertations/assignments if you’re staying on campus and come and see your sabbs if you’re feeling bored.

Bye for now!

Em-J
Vice President of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

Contact Us!

E-mail

SU President (Gareth) – supresident@edgehill.ac.uk

Vice President of FAS (Em-J) – suvpfas@edgehill.ac.uk

Vice President of Health (Christian) – suvphealth@edgehill.ac.uk

Vice President of Education (Kayley) – suvpeducation@edgehill.ac.uk

Twitter

Gareth – https://twitter.com/EHSUpresident

Em-J – https://twitter.com/EHSUvpfas

Christian – https://twitter.com/EHSUvphealth

Kayley – https://twitter.com/EHSUvpeducation