Brace Yourselves, Grad Ball Is Coming!

Goooooooood morning everyone! I’m back with a brand new blog and a brand new sense of optimism! Yes, it’s Monday, yes, we have a long week ahead of us, but that doesn’t mean we have to be sad about it!

Last week was jam-packed with meetings for me, but it seemed to go a lot quicker than I wanted it to!

Last Tuesday was our Refreshers’ Fair in the Hub, where you all had the chance to sign up with any societies and/or sports teams that you missed back in September. It was great to see so many society presidents and members turn up to showcase the wide range of activities that we have here at Edge Hill, so many thanks to you all! I was covering the SU Reception desk for most of the morning, so it was nice to get back to my old job and take a break from the organised chaos that is the role of a sabb officer!

On Wednesday, our humble SU was graced by the presence of NUS President Toni Pearce. Having met Toni before on an NUS Conference, I was super happy for her to come and visit us – we all had a lovely chat about how far EHSU has come over the years and how far we still have to go, Kayley and I talked to her about some of the great events we’ve got coming up and she let us know what’s happening at NUS. This visit was specifically a highlight for me as I hope to one day work for NUS, so it was super helpful to have Toni here to ask about how she became the President, what routes she took to get to where she is now and who are the best people to get in contact with.

Thursday was a relatively serious day, with my fellows sabbs and I meeting with staff from the SIC to discuss National Student Money Month and how we can carry on our work from Mental Health Awareness Day with our Time To Change pledge. For those of you who were unable to come along on M.H.A Day (or just can’t remember!) the Time To Change pledge is our pledge to end mental health discrimination and stigma in the work place and in an educational setting. We’re working with university staff to get members of Directorate including our Vice Chancellor, John Cater, to sign the pledge so watch this space!

Friday was generally quite relaxed – Christian, Gareth, Kayley and I took this time to go over all the meetings we’d had earlier in the week and discuss opportunities for more events, better use of social space and how we can best tackle the issues facing you lovely students on a day-to-day basis.

This week isn’t as jam-packed as last week, but our schedules can change at any time, so we’ll just have to see how things go!

One piece of super, SUPER good news to start your week with, is that Graduation Ball tickets are NOW ON SALE AT THE SU RECEPTION!!!!!! I’M SO EXCITED!

It seems like only yesterday that I was getting ready with my friends and making my way to my own Grad Ball. I absolutely loved it and it was a great way to celebrate the end of my time as an EH student with all my friends.

My lovely friends and I at Grad Ball last year! L-R: Megan, Cherry, Claire, Me, Rosita, Anastasia, Lyndsey.

My lovely friends and I at Grad Ball last year! L-R: Megan, Cherry, Claire, Me, Rosita, Anastasia, Lyndsey.

The details for Grad Ball this year are:

1538884_659392334102677_2061037327_n

Date: Saturday May 17th 2014
Location: Aintree Racecourse
Price: £35
Buy tickets from: SU Reception desk in the Hub.

I highly, highly recommend coming along, it was a fantastic night for me and I’m sure it’ll be amazing for you! 😀

That’s it from me for this week, I’m off to organise some meetings, answer some e-mails and try to get some Catering Facilities in Creative Edge!

Bye for now!

Em-J
Vice President of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

Contact Us!

E-mail

SU President (Gareth) – supresident@edgehill.ac.uk

Vice President of FAS (Em-J) – suvpfas@edgehill.ac.uk

Vice President of Health (Christian) – suvphealth@edgehill.ac.uk

Vice President of Education (Kayley) – suvpeducation@edgehill.ac.uk

Twitter

Gareth – https://twitter.com/EHSUpresident

Em-J – https://twitter.com/EHSUvpfas

Christian – https://twitter.com/EHSUvphealth

Kayley – https://twitter.com/EHSUvpeducatio