The end is near…..

We’re getting to that time of year again when exams are finishing, and final assignments are being handed in, at the same time many students (and staff!) will have one eye firmly fixed on the impending summer break. (I’m not getting massively excited, we’ve probably already had the best weather we’re going to have all year)

In the background the new halls of residence for September 2013 are starting to take some shape, as is the refurbishment of the performing arts building.

I often find in the academic calendar that this is normally a good time to look back and reflect on what the last year has looked like, and what the year ahead looks like it might hold. So with that in mind, I’d like to explore some possible discussion points and maybe throw a couple questions at you.

This time last year, The Students’ Union was two little offices in the street alongside the likes of the laundrette and the University Club Bar. Now, you’ll find us on the top floor of the hub (I’ll come on to the hub in a sec) in a more open and stylish space. Has this change made the Students’ Union more accessible to you? Or increased your awareness of the Students’ Union?

What about the hub in general? A £14 million pound building at the heart of the campus, what has the hub been for you? Is it what you expected it or wanted it to be? Is there something still missing from campus that you would have liked to see instead or along with the hub?

Next year, first year students at Edge Hill will be paying £9000 for their university experience, what should students expect from increased fees? How much is the relationship between learner and teacher likely to change with increased fees?

Mmmmmm, something to think about perhaps, I feel I’ve gone more philosophical than usual in this blog, but that being said, they are all questions that should be asked. I don’t think anyone is deluded enough to consider that our current HE system is stable, it’s in the middle of probably the biggest transition it’s ever been through, The student voice has never been more important, both Nationally and locally.

I’ve gone on for far too long on this, it’s on the verge of becoming another mini-series, and nobody wants that again! Once is quite enough.

Anyway, as always I’d welcome any comments or questions etc. feel free to leave a comment on the blog or to e-mail/phone me directly with any thoughts you may have, suvpfas@edgehill.ac.uk/01695 657311

Thanks again for reading

Billy

1 thought on “The end is near…..