American Football coach Rick touches down to scholarship success

It’s never too late to rethink your career. Just ask Rik Southworth.

After 10 years working as an accountant, Rik decided to follow his heart and turn a favourite pastime into a new career coaching American football. This brought Rik to Edge Hill University where he spent five years coaching the Lancashire American Football team and the Edge Hill Vikings American football team, winning the prestigious Edge Hill Coach of the Year award in 2016. Rik’s love of coaching resulted in him joining the University’s BSc (Hons) Sports Coaching and Development degree.

It was while preparing to study at Edge Hill that Rick heard about the Sports Scholarship. With such an impressive background in coaching and his commitment and love for sport being so evident, it’s no surprise that Rik’s application was successful!

“I was fortunate enough to be awarded a Sports Scholarship as I entered the first year of my degree.

My five years coaching before deciding to come to Edge Hill have been crammed with amazing experiences coaching American Football for the Lancashire Academy.

Before joining as a student in September, I accepted the role of Head Coach here at Edge Hill and also at Lancashire. To have finally reached the level of Head Coach in a sport I love is a dream come true. I’m looking forward to the challenges ahead.

In my time with Lancashire I have travelled all over the country coaching and been fortunate enough to work alongside the Head Coach of the national team. I have also helped to make a difference to the lives of many of the athletes I’ve coached on and off the field. Experiences like this pushed me into making a career change after 10 years as an accountant and follow my love of coaching into a degree.

I couldn’t recommend Edge Hill enough to anyone looking to study coaching or sport. The facilities are world class, lecturers are always looking to help you better yourself and the courses really help to expand your knowledge.”