Daniel bowled over by international cricket success

Daniel Hamm, a member of the England PD (Physical Disability) Cricket Team, was awarded a Sports Scholarship in his first year at Edge Hill in 2013. Since then, Daniel has gone from strength to strength and played in cricket tournaments around the world. Now in his final year of his Physical Education and School Sport Degree, Daniel hopes to continue studying at Edge Hill for a PGCE. Here’s what he’s been up to…

“Since my previous tour towards the back end of my first year at Edge Hill in 2014, the time has flown by! Currently in my final year and having just submitted my PGCE application the time has truly gone too quick. I have been fortunate enough to not only go on tour again with England, but to become champions, as well as being fairly happy with the results I am gaining at university.

The tour in September 2015 was over in Bangladesh, just outside of Dhaka and the interesting country and culture added to the unforgettable experience I had. We participated in a five country tournament named the ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross) International Cricket Tournament for People with Physical Disabilities. The countries were ourselves (England), the hosts Bangladesh, followed by Pakistan, India and Afghanistan. It began after two flights consisting of about 15 hours. After stopping in Abu Dhabi, we continued on into the late night and were greeted by constantly soaring temperatures and 90% humidity, followed by rain, rain and more rain.

We began the tournament by losing against Bangladesh in front of a home crowd of a fair few hundred. We then went on to beat all of the remaining countries in the group stage to finish top of the group and to face our old enemies from the previous tour, Pakistan. This amazing experience ended with us winning the match and creating history by becoming the first team to win the whole tournament. The response from back in England was surreal. The media coverage was incredible and included tweets from various cricket players and other high profile people, as well as the opportunity to do a lap of honour around Old Trafford Cricket Ground, and playing in a Help for Heroes charity event at the KIA Oval in London.

An amazing summer concluded with my return to Edge Hill to get my head down to work hard for the grades I need for my PGCE in Secondary PE, as I am hoping to embark on a career in teaching. I’m sure the end of third year will come around a lot faster than expected and that I’ll soon be working towards a career I have always dreamt of and will enjoy.”