Simone has the world at her feet!

Now that the Women’s Super League season has finished, Edge Hill University Everton Ladies star Simone Magill has taken the time to reflect upon her achievements which have included winning a Sports Scholarship for Prospective Students. I don’t know how she manages to fit in playing for Everton Ladies and Northern Ireland whilst also studying towards a BSc (Hons) Coach Education degree but this year Simone has also squeezed in setting up a University Table Tennis society!

Throughout Year 1 of her degree, Simone has been helping me promote the University’s scholarships at various events as much as her football commitments have allowed. She quickly realised that I have very little knowledge about football so at these events Simone has been teaching me the basics of the beautiful game! Simone should be proud that I now know that the Women’s Super League season has just come to an end but that international matches are still in full swing! As I hand you over to Simone, here’s to a great 2015 season for Everton Ladies – Come on you Blue Girls!

“Hello, my name is Simone. I am a female footballer who plays for both Northern Ireland and Everton Ladies. I am currently in my second year at Edge Hill University studying BSc (Hons) Coach Education. In my spare time, I am a student guide for the University, which involves helping out at open days, conducting campus tours and talking to prospective students. I am also an ambassador for a local community organisation, Onside Sports Education, which helps to make an impact on the lives of people across the North West who want to further their education, vocation and qualifications in the field of sport, health and fitness. I take great pride in all I do and thoroughly enjoy every moment.

Let’s start with football. From a very early age, 4 to be precise, I have always been interested in football. I played for my school teams and a local boys team Cookstown Youth FC until I was 15. I was the only girl which is funny looking back at it now. I remember when games used to start, the boys on the other teams would laugh at the fact there was a girl on the other team but as soon as the game kicked off they were then silenced by the fact I could actually play! At the age of 10, I also joined a local girls’ team, Mid Ulster Ladies, and I stayed with them until I made the move across to Everton in 2013. I was named the first ever winner of the Northern Ireland Women’s Football Association Premier League Player of the year at the age of 15 and in 2012 I was honoured with the same award.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

At the age of 11, I remember going along to my first set of trials for the under 13 Northern Ireland squad and how happy I was that I got in. From there on, I went through the system representing all age groups, captaining both the under 17 and under 19 squads. Aged 15, I got my first call up to the senior side and 36 caps later I am still very much involved. This is by far my proudest achievement. As a child, this is why I started playing football in the hope that one day I would play for my country.

Football has enabled me to see so much off the world and I am so thankful for the opportunities it provides me with. I have been fortunate to travel to over 18 countries playing against teams such as Australia, New Zealand, South Korea and South Africa.

So, let’s move to University. Most people always ask me how do I have time for all of this, and that is a really good question. Throughout the years, I’ve had lots of practice when it comes to managing my time effectively. I remember when I was doing my A levels and I had signed for Everton, I would fly over to Liverpool on a Thursday, train and play a match and then come Monday morning I would fly home and go to school. Standard week really for me!  Now, living in Ormskirk I can easily access Finch Farm for the Everton training sessions, I do however still fly home for the Northern Ireland games, as you can see from my video diary:

I thoroughly enjoy the degree I am studying towards, I have met some of the most incredible people who will be friends for life. I am truly having the time of my life, enjoying every moment while also working towards a quality degree.”

You can check out some of Simone’s skills at