No rest but plenty of success for rugby scholar Ciaran

Throughout the year, one of our Sports Scholars, Ciaran Keane, has kept us updated about his sporting achievements. All I can say is wow, what fantastic opportunities he has enjoyed (and I am not at all jealous of the places he has visited!).

Ciaran was awarded a Sports Scholarship for Current Students in 2013 for his achievements in rugby union. Ciaran has just completed his second year of LLB (Hons) Law. You can read about Ciaran’s successful year as a scholar below.

“It is only now after a very busy year, that I get the opportunity to reflect on what I have achieved and experienced throughout this past year: playing in the Rugby World Cup Qualifiers and the European Sevens’ games for Luxembourg Rugby’s National team as well as playing for Edge Hill’s University team. I have played in some extraordinary places and climates but I have also played in the freezing cold, wet and strong winds (with this mainly being the climate for games which took place in the UK!).  Having said that it is at these University games that the most fun was had with some great people!

The Edge Hill rugby team came second in our league; a very respectable achievement having just been promoted.  In the World Cup Qualifiers, we (Luxembourg) competed well but were eventually beaten by Israel. We did however win our group, which means we have been promoted into a higher level of European rugby with the likes of Austria in our upcoming season. I was also selected as Young Player of the Year in January!

Having just finished my second year exams, I went straight to the Rugby Sevens in June where I played in a small competition in Cologne to ensure I was selected for the national team in a larger European tournament three weeks later in Prague. I was selected and was also the youngest player on the squad, a little daunting to say the least but I’m quite used to being tested like that by now. We played five games against different countries including Norway and Iceland and came third overall in the whole tournament – a great achievement. 

Following our Sevens’ games I was given a couple of weeks off, however this was short lived as I’m now preparing for a European U20s tournament in August before heading back to Edge Hill and starting what is considered pre-season for University – however, it most definitely doesn’t feel like it to me! I think my season is neverending!”