Ain’t no mountain high enough for Connor

Connor Richmond was awarded an Excellence Scholarship for Prospective Students in 2012 for demonstrating excellence in Performing Arts. He will begin the final year of his BA (Hons) Film and Television Production degree in September. He recently sent us an update of what he’s been up to since receiving his scholarship.

It’s always great to hear what our scholars have continued to achieve and Connor has certainly been making the most of his time at University, transferring his attention from the stage to become involved in the production of films, taking to the airwaves and even successfully competing in the Students’ Union’s annual elections! Connor acknowledges that receiving a scholarship has helped give him the confidence to pursue further success.

Although I have been involved with Drama in the past, including a professional youth production of Sweeney Todd for which I was awarded the Excellence Scholarship, my heart has always been beating for the creation of on-screen narratives a little more than on-stage stories. As a Film and Television Production student, witnessing both sides of production is an outstanding learning experience and one that continues to benefit my own work when producing films.

This year I have been involved in several productions of short films, projects and competitions. I was elected as Director of Photography on a collaborative project with five other students in which we created a short film entitled ‘The Cuckoo’ which also involved five other students in its creation. I composed the soundtrack for the film and recorded the score to a live screening of the edit. The film has been screened in Northern Ireland and we hope to submit it to various film festivals around the UK.

I also co-directed and produced a short documentary about the life, labour and legacy of Irish migrant and Liverpool legend, Kitty Wilkinson. Working with four other students, we met with Michael Kelly (author of ‘The Life of Kitty Wilkinson’), Revered Elizabeth Storey (Kitty’s great-grandniece) and Liverpool historian Greg Quiery. To our surprise, the documentary has been selected to feature in the 2014 Liverpool Irish Festival. I am very excited to watch it on the ‘big screen’ this October.

Being a scholar has been a great experience because it’s given me the confidence to tackle projects that I maybe wouldn’t have tackled in the past. There “ain’t no mountain high enough” as Marvin Gaye or Tammi Terrell might say!

Last summer, I was approached by a Tesco store in Northern Ireland and used the scholarship award money to fly home to direct, shoot and edit a campaign video for them. It was submitted by the store to an internal staff competition to coincide with the ‘Love Every Mouthful’ TV campaign. The video gained over 10,000 views online and was ranked in the top five of the competition.”

In addition to his flair for drama and film and television production, Connor has also enjoyed an active role with Edge Hill Students’ Union.

“I volunteered during Freshers Week and was consequently appointed Student Trustee. This inspired me to run for the position of Student Governor in the Annual Elections. I was overwhelmed and ecstatic when I received the most votes and was elected.

I also host my own radio show every week on ‘Vibe Radio’, part of the Students Union’s Media Platform, and this year took up the position of Senior Radio Presenter. This was a scary but fantastic challenge and I enjoyed every second of it. I have been selected to take up the job of Head Coordinator and Managing Director of the Radio for the next academic year. This is something I am extremely excited about and I cannot wait to grab the reins.”