What being nominated for a scholarship meant to me

Did you know that while you can apply for a number of Edge Hill University’s scholarships yourself, if you are a current student you can also be nominated to receive a Chancellor’s Scholarship or an Adam Bell Scholarship? These awards recognise students who make an exceptional contribution to the University, help to raise the profile of Edge Hill in a positive way and/or demonstrate qualities such as dedication, compassion to others, and resilience.

Edward Teale, a second year DipHE Paramedic Practice student, was nominated for a Chancellor’s Scholarship by his tutor. The nomination was well-deserved recognition of his extensive volunteering work that led to him receiving the National Student of the Year award, as well as the high level of professionalism demonstrated on his placement. Recently we caught up with Thomas to find out what being chosen for a Chancellor’s Scholarship had meant to him.

*

“I was thrilled and delighted to simply be nominated for a Chancellor’s Scholarship but to be in receipt of it – what an accolade, what an honour! I feel very much obliged to all those who were involved in my selection for what I consider to be a very prestigious award. The ceremony was a very special evening for my family who travelled across the country to attend and see me receive my certificate from the University’s Chancellor, well-known Clinical Psychologist and TV Broadcaster Tanya Byron. My dad had been impressed with her life story and musical choices when she appeared on Desert Island Discs only a few days before the awards ceremony!

To be honest, I consider it a privilege simply to be a student on the Paramedic Practice course, training to qualify for the exciting, rewarding and totally absorbing world of the paramedic. In my case it was particularly gratifying to learn that my placement professional activities had been perceived as having special value for the family of one of my patients. Although the eventual outcome for the patient was extremely sad, it was very moving to receive a very generous letter of commendation for my actions. I am, inevitably, proud to be the subject of such fulsome praise but feel I merely acted in a supportive way that I would reasonably expect of others in similar circumstances.

I am still not entirely convinced that I am worthy of a Chancellor’s Scholarship and I’m sure that many others within my cohort are equally deserving. I do, however, reiterate my very great pleasure in being chosen and trust that my future progress and actions continue to justify the decision. It has certainly contributed to greater self confidence in my work and, on a more practical note, the monetary prize that accompanies the award will go a long way towards funding my driving lessons as I endeavour to obtain the ambulance driver’s licence to give me a head start when my career commences – hopefully at the end of the current academic year.”

You can be nominated for a Chancellor’s Scholarship by Edge Hill University staff. Nominations for an Adam Bell Scholarship can be made by Edge Hill University staff or your peers.

Why not speak to your tutor, another member of University staff or friends who are current Edge Hill University students to discuss your individual situation and your desire to be nominated for an award? Nomination forms can be downloaded from the Scholarships website. Good luck!