Guy drums to success

At the most recent ‘get together’ arranged for the University’s scholars, one of the winners of our Excellence Scholarships for Current Students, Guy Shread, told us about how his enthusiasm and talent for ensemble drumming has recently taken him to Japan to perform with the highly acclaimed Kagemusha Taiko.

Guy is in his third year studying BA (Hons) Visual Theatre at Edge Hill University. He explains:

“My ambition is to enrich people’s lives through performance. I knew if I applied for the On-Course Scholarship I had a great chance of developing my performance ability. Amongst other performance skills, I am a Taiko player, which featured heavily in my scholarship application. Taiko is choreographed ensemble drumming which has its origins in Japan.

In October 2013 I had the opportunity to travel to Japan with Kagemusha Taiko as part of an international friendship exchange. As well as performing a theatre concert, we also played at schools and charity gigs for local residents. The trip was part of an ongoing programme to help raise morale for those who were affected by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami. Their warm welcome and response to our visit was overwhelming. The experience we had delved deep and revealed a depth to performance I had never felt before and I felt honoured to be a part of such profound events.

The assistance of the scholarship has surpassed what I thought it could bring and has made a significant contribution in enabling me to go on this trip and further improve my performance skills.”

You can see a clip of Guy’s impressive drumming with Kagemusha Taiko below. Prepare to be enthralled!