New Student Concerns.

It’s always daunting starting somewhere new and University has got to be one of the biggest steps someone can take. It’s a lengthy process and it takes up a full three years of your life. It’s worth it though. I can’t express that enough.

However some vital questions I was concerned with before starting involved:

1. Will I fit in/Will I be accepted?
  2. How will I find my way around?
  3. Will I be able to handle the amount of work?
  4. What support is available for people with disabilities?

I talked to friends/family and even visited Edge Hill before starting to dissolve some of the anxieties I had.

1. Everyone is in the same position. Of course there may be some people who have friends attending the same university but the majority of you will be strangers to each other. During the first week, there will be a mixer were you can meet people doing the same course and get to know tutors etc. However, if you’re unable to go to that, you’ll have people introducing themselves and vice versa because everyone wants to make friends. And of course you’ll be accepted, everyone always is.
  2. The campus is vast and at first you may get lost on occasion but there’s campus maps available online and once you can work out which building is which, it’s pretty easy. It’ll probably take a few weeks but you’ll soon become familiar with the place. A campus tour on Open Days are always beneficial too. It’s the same with Ormskirk town, it’s quaint and if you wander around if for a few hours it’ll soon sink in where everything is.
  3. The amount of work takes some getting used to. I’m in third year and still coming to terms with it. As long as you give yourself plenty of time, research and talk to tutors about your concerns, everything will be okay.
  4. The Inclusion Team and Learning Edge are marvellous. If you have any type of learning difficulty or disability go and speak to someone about it as soon as possible and they’ll assist you as best they can.

I really hope this helps. I’d have appreciated it if someone gave me a list of answers before I began University. If you have any concerns or queries, don’t hesitate to leave me a comment on here or contact me via Twitter.

Sarah.

This entry was posted in EHU, Inclusion Team, Open Day, Ormskirk and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.