We are proud that the KS2/3 Course was able to pilot this brand new Award for PE teachers from the FA.  Over 40 trainees from a variety of subject specialisms were able to become the first Primary teachers in the North-West to complete this award.  The aim of the course is to enable all primary school teachers to be able to successfully deliver the new PE National Curriculum in Primary Schools.  Most of the students had no prior football or coaching experience, outside of the degree programme and school placements.

“I had the best time! It was brill and learnt lots at the same time! I feel a lot more confident about teaching Primary PE now, especially with differentiating each activity” – Jenny

The course was delivered  by Chris Brammall, FA Regional PE & Coaching in Education Coordinator (North West) and Chris Welburn, FA Regional PE & Coaching in Education Coordinator (North East) and facilitated by Paul Smalley, Senior Lecturer and FA Coach Mentor.

“It was best teaching day for a foundation subject we have had! To be honest I have always felt confident teaching PE, but I learnt so much today and feel even better.” -Jake

We began with an introduction and theoretical background a classroom, where we thought about the various challenges of Primary PE and started to define physical literacy.  We then moved out onto the 4G Astroturf for practical work in two groups.  We were shown a number of warm-up activities, multi-directional and directional games, some of which were specific to football skill deelopment, but many which developed fundamental movement skills and objectives linking to the Natioanl Curriculum’s invasions games.  We could not have wished for a better day and stayed on the astroturf all afternoon until around 4-ish.

“Absolutely loved today so engaging and very tiring, early night for me! Thanks Paul and the 2 Chris’ s very fab I have some great ideas and it definitely made me want to get back into my sports.” – Lauren