Big party in little China

myself on the right with friend

Nothing amazes me more than the multi cultural diversity here at Edgehill University. It was simply fun at the Chinese new year themed “year of the dragon”. Scary huh? Well no! I was made to understand by my Chinese mates that the”Dragon” is a legendary creature in Asian folklore.Unlike the European dragon which had wings and assumed to be evil, the Chinese dragon, more of a serpentine creature represents fame, honour and imperial power within the Asian community.

The event was colourful and organised by the Centre for International Education at Edge Hill on behalf of the Chinese society.The venue was at the Sages in the Hub. I was there to learn about a new culture and know what it feels like having a new year celebration in late January. Although i was a bit late to the event, i did not miss the best part of it. I was greeted with warm smiles by my Chinese friends who wrote my name in Chinese calligraphy using blank ink on red paper. The paper still hangs on the wall of my room as I am yet to know if I sticked it upside down with no clue.

The atmosphere was fascinating  and the choreography session by the Asians awesome. Not to forget the food and tea to go down with! Finally we had photo sessions as i took a bow learning how to say goodbye on one of the most fascinating events i have attended in a while. The memories still linger which i will hold on to through the year of the dragon. A year predicted to be of good fortune and prosperity. Maybe this will be a good reason to visit China someday for me…who knows?

One thought on “Big party in little China

1. Hi there to every one, the contents existing at this site are
    genuinely remarkable for people knowledge,
    well, keep up the nice work fellows.