This is the end…

I started this blog around two years ago, as ‘a sort of experiment in writing – to see if it’s possible to write a blog that:
– conforms to the requirements of the genre
– is entertaining enough for me to want to write and some people to want to read
– is personal enough to be authentic whilst being work-related enough to justify doing on the Edge Hill site
– doesn’t make me sound like a corporate shill, pretend Californian teenager or simple babbling loon.’

CASE

It has been fun – a way of holding forth and getting an audience that doesn’t involve standing up in front of a crowd thinking ‘I probably should have worn a tie’ – but I think it’s time to evaluate my success and to decide whether to continue doing it.

I believe it ‘conforms to the requirements of the genre’, such as they are, except in one crucial respect – regularity. I simply don’t have the time to write small essays any more. I can just about manage 140 character tweets.

Maybe it ‘is entertaining enough for … some people to want to read’, and it has certainly been gratifying to meet people who say they read it. And learning my blogging chops here led me to doing my walking project, which has in turn led me to do more creative writing, which is all good.

I also think it ‘is personal enough to be authentic whilst being work-related enough to justify doing on the Edge Hill site’ – it’s a question of balance that is quite difficult. There is a certain exposure in writing as oneself – but then it’s a kind of performance really, a work-blogging role alongside the other roles I play.

As for whether it ‘doesn’t make me sound like a corporate shill, pretend Californian teenager or simple babbling loon’ – I think it does make me sound like those things, albeit not usually all at once. ‘Corporate shill’ is what it says on my business card and the other bits are those ‘requirements of the genre’ I was seeking to fulfil.

So it has been an interesting exercise but it’s time to move on. My picture on the header seems to have disappeared already so I guess the writing was on the wall. A truly corporate blog may have a role but a work-based personal one has had its day.

Thanks for reading.

6 thoughts on “This is the end…

1. Posted at 8.04? but it’s 7.57, isn’t it? The apocalyptic tone of the heading had me worried for a minute. Glad to see you’re okay, just not blogging any more! Has blogging had its day? Is anybody out there?

2. The same problems with blogging for the Hi! Applicant site: How to make a blog aimed at recruiting new applicants for the university whilst keeping a ‘personal’ touch?

3. Seems Roy’s blog was set to the wrong timezone – possibly Argleton time!

I’ve been doing quite a lot of thinking about blogging since our 25 days challenge and I’ve made adjustments to how I blog, especially in a personal capacity. I’ll follow up with more another time.

4. I think what would work for me in a work setting would be something more like microblogging – a platform to share simple ‘here’s what we’re thinking about today’ stuff and links to interesting materials – but that doesn’t require users to log in to delicious, twitter or whatever.

I also intend to write the names of bands I like on my satchel with elaborate biro logos and carve amusing comments into my desk.

5. Shame really, I liked your writing style and found your content pretty stimulating. I reckon you can be proud of what you’ve achieved anyways..

6. Phew! I thought you were leaving us there, Mr Roy! Love the idea of writing on the satchel and desk. Might give that a go. I was very good at it at school! ;0)