Come And Steal Everything (CASE)

Four days, 802 delegates, 42 countries, and what felt like several hundred sessions – this year’s CASE Europe conference in Edinburgh was big, intense, exciting and exhausting. As a member of the planning committee (with a pink ribbon on my badge to prove it) I felt a kind of nervous parental pride in the whole endeavour. As a marketer I suppose I need the stats to tell me if it was any good or not, but for now, based on feedback in corridors, at meals and around the bars of Edinburgh’s pubs, I can say it was fantastic.

Me at the newcomers' induction

Some highlights as I recall them:

Tom Hayes, Professor of Marketing at Xavier University is reputedly fast on his feet on the soccer fields of Cincinnati. His speed and agility served him well, delivering a 90 minute session in 50, providing a splendid high-energy start to the marketing track.

Antoinette de Villiers and Nick Stokes gave fascinating insights into brand and positioning.

John Grant‘s sessions were a bit like being hit with a firehose of ideas and examples – some of which I’m sure will start someone’s marketing revolution – whether it’s IKEA’s furnished skyscraper lifts in Shanghai, Charmin’s toilets in Times Square, or those Jamie Cullum CDs sent to head girls in schools.

Edge Hill’s very own Alison ‘Web Services’ Wildish finished the track with an updated version of her ‘Let the students do the talking‘ presentation. This created a megabuzz at the University Web Managers’ conference (video here) and got people talking here too (so that’s two worlds she has conquered.)

There were countless other things I couldn’t see as I needed to be somewhere else. I would loved to have heard Steph Cosgrove on community-building technologies; Dave Roberts on fees…

Then there’s all the little, random, social things that fill in all the corners of events like this – evening sun on Arthur’s Seat – learning the Russian way of toasting – driven out of the halls at 7.30am by a fire alarm (grateful for the complementary Business School bathrobe) – buying an emergency tie in Princes Street.

What never ceases to amaze me is the willingness to share within a professional community comprised of competing institutions. Despite the joke Come And Steal Everything acronym, no-one needs to steal anything as so much is freely given.

More photos