Memories Are Made Of This – Part 6

So here it is, part six of my hugely successful trip down Memory Lane and into English and Creative Writing at Edge Hill University Avenue (quite a long street sign isn’t it?). Today I’m writing about something that could be fairly easily overlooked in the creative writing spectrum. It ain’t poetry, scriptwriting or fiction, and what else is there I hear you wonder? Life writing is the answer to that query. It formed part of the first year of my course at Edge Hill, and I only wish I could have done more of it!

One branch of life writing is travel writing (hence the picture, it wasn’t just eye candy). It’s really inspirational when you think that this course could get you a jet-set job. If you are a creative writer and you’ve been abroad, chances are you already keep journals and whatnot, but studying this at Edge Hill has really given a good perspective on what’s out there for you and your passion.

Even more interesting for me was the look at columnists, such as Charlie Brooker, and the techniques they use to write articles. Humour is a massive part of it, hence why I enjoyed this part of the course so much, but also touches of surreality, all to convey (and, yes, over-emphasise) an opinion. However outrageous! After all, isn’t that one of the greatest things about writing? Right and wrong are just shades to paint with as opposed to moral absolutes.

That leads me on to autobiographies, biographies and memoirs. The reading list for this part of the course is fantastic, I really got to sink my teeth into a great book called And When Did You Last See Your Father by Blake Morrison. The debate about truth really comes alive here, and you’d be surprised how you might write your own life story after looking and analysing other people’s.

To sum up, the structure of the course has been brilliant at Edge Hill. They fitted a lot of high quality, stimulating and thought-provoking lessons into a reasonably small module, and although I miss it, I’ll never forget it!