Memories Are Made Of This – Part 4

Hello and welcome (back) to my Edge Hill memories series, focusing on my three years studying English and Creative Writing. Yes it has been the best three years of my life, but if you’re thinking about coming here then you’ll want to know more about the ins and outs, so I hope you enjoy!

Today I’m looking at Scriptwriting, which is the main reason I went to Edge Hill in the first place (so far I’ve looked at the Literature, Fiction and Poetry parts of my course, hope you enjoyed them too!). I remember when I first arrived, I had no idea how to even format a script, but true to the Edge Hill way, I was supported right from the off. We were given advice by the tutors, extremely handy handouts and even got pointed in the direction of industry-specific software from giants such as the BBC. This kind of approach, I feel, really is at the cutting edge. It really gives you the tools, tells you how to use them and then lets you practise, even showing you ways from the start that you could impress employers.

My first memory of scripts at Edge Hill was bringing my first short film in to a seminar to be looked over and workshopped by my peers. They were too nice about it, so the tutor came along with a red pen and scribbled alllll over it. After he went away from our table they started saying ‘wow, he was harsh,’ but I didn’t think so at all. He put me on the right path from day one, made sure that I stayed that way throughout the courseĀ and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

Another great memory (there are almost too many to choose from, believe me!) has come at the end of the course in the form of the module known as ‘The Writers’ Workshop’. It’s not specifically dedicated just to scriptwriters, it’s actually down to each student to choose what they’d like to work on. The idea is that you’re working towards a larger piece of work that you’ll be able to present to employers as a kind of calling card. It differs from other modules in that there’s a bigger focus on the writers’ community and constructive criticism from your classmates. It’s been a great experience (hard work but well worth it!) and all the students can be proud that they’ve helped not only themselves but others too.

I think that’s a fitting tribute to the uni as a whole; it really is a great way to get ahead personally, but there are so many opportunities to get involved with others as well. Edge Hill is not only going to educate you and improve your chances of gettng your dream job, but the community you’ll be a part of will also be part of the reward.