Memories Are Made Of This – Part 3

Okay, so here is the third part of my ‘Memories’ series, where I look into the most memorable parts of my English and Creative Writing Degree. I think today I’ll look into the fiction writing part of the course, which is generally what most people I’ve spoken to think about when you mention that you write (specifically novels).

Again, all I can say is that in general Edge Hill has had the most positive influence in terms of challenging stereotypes and letting your passions run wild. When I first came to Edge Hill, I was thinking that I would write novels. Novels are what I’d read for GCSE and A-Level study, so I kind of naturally assumed that fiction revolved around the novel. How wrong I was.

Put simply, I’ve loved every moment of my time writing fiction at Edge Hill, but the time that I found most inspirational was when we looked not at the short story, but at something even shorter: flash fiction. The short story is something that Edge Hill is very passionate about, there are a number of short story competitions, but the fact is that their competitions are respected far more than just locally, and have genuinely improved the reputation of the short story as an art form within the country and beyond. All you need do is check the university’s press releases to see how much impact is has on the local area and even further.

But these flash fiction stories go beyond even the challenge of the short story. I recently entered a ‘flash’ competition recently where the word limit was 250 words. A whole story in 250 words? Believe me, you will feel inspired to tackle such challenges and then feel hungry for more when you come to Edge Hill. Our lesson in flash fiction included ‘stories in a sentence’ (think about Hemingway’sĀ famous flash, as seen here: http://www.sixwordstories.net/2008/12/for-sale-baby-shoes-never-used-ernest-hemmingway/) and seriously, you will not find a more vibrant and inspirational atmosphere as you will at Edge Hill.

I used to be able to write fiction badly. Then I came to Edge Hill. Then I could really write stories. Narratives became easier to create, but then craft appeared and it became easier to write short stories and then flash fiction. I couldn’t have asked more from a course, when most people’s original perception of your creative area is ‘simply’ the novel. That’s why I recommend coming to Edge Hill. You don’t just learn, you’ll become creatively electrified.