‘The Scousest Day on Earth’

Edge Hill has a great reputation for its sports degrees, but you don’t have to be doing one to take advantage of any of the many opportunities for enjoying sport around Ormskirk. I for one love a bit of football, it must be said, and yesterday saw the Liverpool vs Everton FA cup semi-final. The atmosphere in Ormskirk is always great on match day, whoever is playing, but the rivalries inside Liverpool and even with Manchester teams translate clearly for Ormskirkians. It happened that my team won, but in any of the many places you can watch it about the town the buzz is always great, even for neutral fans.

Yesterday saw another important national sporting event take place just a few minutes away from Ormskirk in Aintree. I am, of course, talking about the Grand National. It is not just the event itself that transforms Ormskirk. The preceeding days too have a buzz that is unlike any other, especially Ladies’ Day. I was on my way into Liverpool the other day and it’s like a fever that sweeps the area, the trains are packed with expectant men and women all having a good time. I wrote recently about the buzz on campus at Edge Hill around the time of the elections, and the energy in Ormskirk at this time reminds me of that: anticipation, enjoyment and warmth.

I should just explain, the title of this post comes from a conversation I overheard yesterday. With so much pride in Merseyside around this time of national sporting importance, someone proclaimed it to be ‘the Scousest day on earth.’ That’s a debatable thing to say, perhaps, but it was certainly one of the most fun!