Technology Roadshow & Mobile Clinic
On Thursday 31st of January, Learning Services and IT Services will be running an open event in the HUB showcasing everything you might need to know about the latest technology developments with Learning Edge, the campus wifi, mobile apps and electronic library resources.
With the ever growing range of services targeted at mobile users we will be on hand to help you get the most from your smartphones and tablet devices at the first #EHUmobileclinic! You might think you know all there is to know about your mobile device and how you can use it to help you with your studies, but as Rumsfeld says,
” There are known knowns; there are things we know we know.
We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say, we know there are some things we do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don’t know we don’t know.“
—United States Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld
So, come along to the HUB and talk to us about technology; let us demystify some of the things you’ve heard about but don’t know how to use, and let us help you get started using technologies you haven’t even thought of yet!
We’ll be talking about, Learning Edge, Campus Pack, Mobile Learn, the PC Availability Finder, Library Anywhere, Ebrary, Collaborate, and much, much more.
Here are just a few examples of questions we can help you with:
In the library how can I…
- search for resources?
- find online journals and articles?
- access my reading list?
- reserve a book?
- build a reference using the Discover More ‘cite’ tool?
- save a link to an eResource so I can go straight back to it later?
- work out which databases are right for my subject?
On my mobile (eReader/laptop/phone/tablet) how can I…
- sync my emails?
- easily log into Learning Edge?
- get the course notifications I want?
- access my lecture notes?
- search the library catalogue?
- download journal articles and eBooks?
- annotate journal articles or lecture notes?
- save shortcuts to the library and my subject pages?
- watch videos or listen to podcasts?
- find usful apps?
In Learning Edge how can I…
- change the way my course list is displayed?
- subscribe to discussion forums/threads so I know when a post has been made?
- set up my own online blogs/discussion forums/podcasts/social or study groups?
- find my grades and feedback?
In general how can I…
- connect to wifi on campus?
- find a PC to use?
- book a study room?
- forward my Edge Hill emails to a personal account?
Hopefully this list will give you some ideas, but we’re sure you’ll have other questions of your own. Come and find us; we want to help.
Finally, if you can’t get on to campus but want to get involved, you can contact us during the event (and beyond) via our social media channels: Facebook and Twitter. We’ll be using the #EHUmobileclinic and #LSRoadshow hashtags so if you have something to say or a question to ask about using technologies for your studies please get in touch.
See you in the HUB!
Learning Technology Development Manager