Perfect weather for studying

Konnichiha!

Not much going on lately in the university. Someone is studying, someone is doing placements, someone is just getting ready to go back home…and only some of the international students like me are staying here and doing their research.

England has always been known for its questionable weather. When I was just planning to come here, people were saying that it’s constantly either raining, has just rained or is going to rain. Although last week provided us with several days of horrible weather and I had to wear my winter jacket because of the strong rain and wind, the weather generally hasn’t been so bad. I’ve always liked to compare weather conditions in different countries I visit. For example, British winter is nice and warm in comparison with the winter in Belarus. We usually have minus 20-25 degrees °C, which can at some point go down to 30-35 if we are not very lucky. Since I arrived to Edge Hill, I have seen snow only once and the temperature is not very low. However, my fellow students from Nigeria would probably disagree with me as I know that many of them think that the weather here is very cold.

Of course it might be considered cold, in comparison with United Arab Emirates, for example. Summer in UAE is extremely hot and from my experience of a pretty hot spring there I can assume that summer is unbearable.

Of course, it’s always nice to live where the weather is nice and warm. But let’s look from the students’ point of view. When it’s hot and sunny outside everyone goes to a beach, park or at least their balcony to enjoy some fresh air and get their share of Vitamin D. Such weather is not the best option, if you need to work hard on your thesis or do your work placement. On the other hand, if it’s a bit chilly with occasional rain here and there, it’s much easier to convince yourself that you should stay in and work. From my point of view, such weather contributes to the amount of quality studying time. Maybe it’s due to rainy weather the British education is considered one of the best in the world 🙂

“Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather.” 

– John Ruskin.