My summer in Edge Hill.

Góðan  daginn!

Well, not much going on lately, I must say. Every day there are fewer people on campus and the university should probably be in a sleeping mode. However, that’s not true!

I could not imagine that there will be so many events going on during summertime. In many universities worldwide summer is the time staff to take a break from huge amounts of students on campus and prepare for the “new season of the show”. Edge Hill seems to be different. Something is going on in the uni every week. A lecture by some distinguished person, celebration of Queen’s Jubilee for the employees or Open Day – all these things create the atmosphere of development and constant movement forward.

I have been thinking about it while sitting in my room working on the dissertation. When you have so many hours of reading and writing to do every day to make your work really good, there is not much time left for other things. Nevertheless, I try to have some rest occasionally, in order not to burnout. As I have written in my previous posts, Edge Hill has a great advantage of being located not in a big city. For me personally, this advantage results in at least half an hour a day spent outside breathing fresh air, running in the woods or just wandering around.

What I have noticed is that I truly enjoy doing research for my dissertation. I have even been considering an option of taking the career path in academia. Of course, if I choose to do so I think would like to get a PhD in Business and Management. It would be a long hard walk and I am not sure yet that I am ready to choose that option right now. I think getting work experience in the field of your interest can benefit your future decision to do research in that sphere and bring much better results. One of my friends from USA, who studied in Edge Hill for one semester in 2011, was so impressed by education in the UK that he decided to apply for a PhD program here. So now I am thinking would it be better for me to pursue the career in academia after my graduation or try to find a position in a good company to get many years of work experience, which, combined with excellent academic qualifications, will provide me with a solid foundation for my future undertakings.

Anyway, now is the time to make a decision and there are many factors that might influence it. But I know that I am neither the first one to make that decision, nor the last. That thought will help me to be confident, sensible and creative…I am sure!

“Each of the professions means a prejudice. The necessity for a career forces every one to take sides. We live in the age of the overworked, and the under-educated; the age in which people are so industrious that they become absolutely stupid.”

–         Oscar Wilde.