Results Day

So, results day is on Thursday, and no doubt a lot of you are starting to panic now? Don’t. Its not as bad as you think. And trust me, I did this when I was in 6th form, its not worth spending all morning before you get your results on Facebook or trying to check UCAS…it just makes you panic more! The best thing to do in my opinion is not to find out what other people got until you have your results, it will save a lot of worry.

As far as what will actually happen on results day goes, The Student Room have a pretty comprehensive guide for different situations here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_results_day

But as a starting point, I think their list of what to take with you is particularly useful:

• Mobile phone (charged and topped up) – you may need to call universities if you need to go into Clearing
  • Pen/pencil
  • Writing paper/notepad
  • Calculator (in case something goes wrong and your modules aren’t added up)
  • Results slips from AS (ditto, and also in case you need to phone a uni and plead you can say “but I got X on these modules”)
  • UCAS/uni letter (so you’ve got all your info including UCAS number handy, and also so you don’t panic thinking “was my offer AAAA or AAAa”)
  • Contact details for your firm and insurance
  • Copy of personal statement and your reference if you have it
  • Contact details for your referee (and if you think it’s likely you’ll go into Clearing permission from your referee to pass on their details to universities)
  • Cheque book (to pay for any re-marks you need doing and the sooner they are sent off the better).

Its also good to remember that The Telegraph on Thursday will have a list of all the Clearing vacancies available, which may be an easier way to find something than working your way through a UCAS search again (if you’re anything like me you’ll be sick of that website by now!)

If you do need to go into Clearing, again, don’t panic! All you need to do is find a university which has places on a course you are interested in and call them up – there is a list of contact details here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Clearing_Contacts_Directory

and whoever answers your call will be able to help you.

I applied through clearing because I changed my mind of which country to study in (long story!) and I thought the whole process was really easy, so it isn’t anything to worry about. And you never know, you might end up somewhere you like more than your original first choice!

So for now, good luck, and as always if you want to know any more feel free to comment 🙂