Summer Time

Once again, I’m starting this post with an apology – I realise it has been a while since I’ve posted, but I’ve been on holiday for a month and then had to move house as soon as I got back, but I’m now writing this from my as yet unpacked new house. 🙂

This post is going to focus on some budgeting advice for the summer before you start university. Now, I won’t pretend that I took my own advice on this…I didn’t! But, if I could go back and do it again, I’d definitely consider these tips:

• Get a part time job (or full time if you can!) through summer to save some money.
  • Learn some simple recipes before moving out if you’re not used to cooking for yourself – its a lot cheaper (and healthier!) to make your own meals than live on Iceland ready meals…but I’ll post again with some food shopping tips later…
  • Ask your parents to check if their home insurance covers you at uni before taking out your own insurance (yes…you will need insurance for while you’re at uni, especially if you have a laptop/TV/phone etc…)
  • Sign up for discount/loyalty cards before starting uni to save up points (These are the cards I have…Holland and Barrett, Iceland, Starbucks, Subway, Costa, Boots, Superdrug, Game, Gamestation, Waterstones, Odeon and probably more!)
  • Buy a Railcard (the main transport links from Ormskirk to anywhere are by train)
  • Buy an NUS card – some places might only accept this – and the International version is good if you plan to go abroad in the summer after first year and is only an extra £2 – then ask EVERYWHERE if they give a discount, or if they can if they say no.
  • Take advantage of online offers and cashback websites…there are links to the ones I use at the side of my blog 🙂
  • Use the online budget planner at http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/redalert

I’ll post later with my budget plan for next year in the next couple of weeks once I’ve worked it out. Have a good summer! 🙂